Robotics - Need for minor axes?

In summary, industrial robotics involves 3 major axes and 3 minor axes for accurately describing an object's orientation and location in 3D space. The major axes position the end-effector or gripper, while the minor axes orient it. The need for the 3 minor axes becomes clear when considering the object as an entire entity, rather than just a point.
phiby
I am just reading an introductory text on Industrial Robotics.
It talks about 3 Major Axes and 3 Minor Axes and Yaw, Pitch and Roll.

I am still confused as to the need for the minor axes. You locate the gripper at any point in spaces, 3 axes should be enough right? So what's the need for the 3 minor axes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
phiby said:
I am just reading an introductory text on Industrial Robotics.
It talks about 3 Major Axes and 3 Minor Axes and Yaw, Pitch and Roll.

I am still confused as to the need for the minor axes. You locate the gripper at any point in spaces, 3 axes should be enough right? So what's the need for the 3 minor axes?

Can you give more detail on these major/minor axes?

You need 6 pieces of information to describe an object's exact orientation and location in 3D space: 3 distances for location and 3 angles for orientation.

For robotics, a rotation is usually described by the order of rotation: x - y - z. So Roll about x_0 by thetaA, pitch about y_0 by thetaB, roll about z_0 by thetaC. This is for the first rotation. Successive rotations are also WRT to the fixed frame.

adpr02 said:
Can you give more detail on these major/minor axes?

Most textbooks on industrial robotics (schilling etc) call the 1st 3 joint axes which position the end-effector/gripper as major axis & the next 3rd joint axes which orient it as minor axes.

adpr02 said:
You need 6 pieces of information to describe an object's exact orientation and location in 3D space: 3 distances for location and 3 angles for orientation.

Yes, this is clear now. I was asked the question when I had just started reading the book. Once I reached the orientation part, it became clear.

Till then, I was thinking of the end effector as a point rather than an object and hence the orientation part wasn't obvious to me.

1. What are minor axes in robotics?

Minor axes in robotics refer to the secondary or additional axes in a robotic system. These axes are often used for finer movements and precision control, and are typically smaller and less powerful than the primary axes.

2. Why do we need minor axes in robotics?

Minor axes are necessary in robotics for tasks that require more intricate and precise movements. They allow for greater flexibility and accuracy in a robotic system, and can be used for tasks such as fine motor control, sensing, and manipulation of small objects.

3. How are minor axes controlled in robotics?

Minor axes can be controlled in a variety of ways, depending on the specific robotic system. They may be manually controlled by a human operator, or programmed to operate autonomously using sensors and algorithms. In some cases, minor axes may also be controlled by other axes within the system.

4. What types of robots typically use minor axes?

Minor axes are commonly used in industrial robots, such as those used in manufacturing and assembly processes. They are also found in smaller, more precise robots used in fields such as medical robotics and micro-robotics.

5. Are minor axes essential for all robotic systems?

No, minor axes are not essential for all robotic systems. Some robots may only require a few primary axes for their intended tasks. However, for more complex and precise movements, minor axes can greatly enhance the capabilities and functionality of a robotic system.