Rocket Equation and Orbit questions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of momentum in a rocket problem involving fuel exhaustion and the application of this concept in a circular orbit scenario. The solution involves rearranging and integrating an equation to find the final velocity of the rocket after fuel exhaustion.
picklepie159

Homework Statement

#1.) A rocket exhausts fuel with a velocity of 1500 m/s, relative to the rocket. It starts from outer space with fuel comprising 80 per cent of the total mass. When all the fuel has been exhausted the speed is...

(Answer was 2400 m/s)

Homework Equations

Vrel (dm/dt) = m (dv/dt)

(Does conservation of momentum apply here? I know it applied to an earlier problem, but the velocity of the ejected gasses weren't relative to the rocket)

The Attempt at a Solution

1500 (0.8) = 0.2 v
v = 600 m/s

1500 (0.8) = 1 v
v = 1200... still wrong.

Can anyone help me out here??

Also, if a man in a circular orbit around Earth fires his forward thrusters to drop his KE, would he fall into a larger elliptical orbit with a greater period? It was a question in the book I was confused about.
I know K = -E and E = - GMm/2r , or - GMm/2a

Physics news on Phys.org
picklepie159 said:
Vrel (dm/dt) = m (dv/dt)

(Does conservation of momentum apply here?
Yes, you need to use conservation of momentum, but the mass of the rocket is changing, so you need it in the form of a differential equation. The equation you quoted is fine, but you don't really care about time here. Can you rewrite it without using dt?

I understand it's not okay to treat the dt's as a part of a fraction, but I'm learning calc alongside with physics and this is the only thing I could think of. It's not correct, but I would love to learn how to rewrite it as you suggested.

Vrel * dm = m * dv
1500 * 0.8 = dv

picklepie159 said:
I understand it's not okay to treat the dt's as a part of a fraction, but I'm learning calc alongside with physics and this is the only thing I could think of. It's not correct, but I would love to learn how to rewrite it as you suggested.

Vrel * dm = m * dv
Yes
1500 * 0.8 = dv
No, dm is a small change in mass. You need to rearrange and integrate the eqn.

dv/dm = Vrel/m

v = Vrel * ln(m)

2414 = -1500 * ln(0.2).

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Related to Rocket Equation and Orbit questions?

1. What is the Rocket Equation and how does it work?

The Rocket Equation, also known as the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a rocket in terms of its mass and velocity changes. It calculates the amount of propellant required for a rocket to reach a desired velocity and altitude. It states that the change in velocity of a rocket is equal to the exhaust velocity of the propellant times the natural logarithm of the initial mass of the rocket divided by the final mass.

2. What is the significance of the Rocket Equation in space exploration?

The Rocket Equation is crucial in space exploration as it allows scientists and engineers to calculate the necessary amount of propellant for a rocket to reach a specific destination in space. It also helps in designing rockets with the most efficient use of propellant, making space travel more feasible and cost-effective.

3. How does the Rocket Equation relate to orbital mechanics?

The Rocket Equation is an essential component of orbital mechanics as it can be used to calculate the necessary velocity and trajectory for a rocket to enter and maintain orbit around a celestial body. It also helps in determining the amount of propellant needed for a rocket to change its orbit or return to Earth.

4. Can the Rocket Equation be applied to any type of rocket?

Yes, the Rocket Equation can be applied to any type of rocket, whether it is a chemical rocket, ion thruster, or nuclear rocket. However, certain factors such as the type of propellant and the efficiency of the propulsion system may affect the accuracy of the calculations.

5. How does the mass of the payload affect the Rocket Equation?

The mass of the payload has a significant impact on the Rocket Equation as it directly affects the mass ratio of the rocket. A heavier payload will require more propellant to reach the desired velocity and altitude, resulting in a decrease in efficiency and an increase in overall cost. Therefore, engineers must carefully consider the mass of the payload when designing a rocket for a specific mission.