Solving a Rocket Launch Problem: Find the Fuel Mass Fraction

In summary, to achieve a speed of 1000 m/s, the spent fuel must be 2000 m/s - 0 m/s = 2000 m/s or 50% of the rocket's total mass.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did I do this right? I'm relying on a formula the teacher gave us in class, without quite understanding it intuitively. So I'm just rewriting the formula to solve for my unknown and plugging in numbers.

A sounding rocket launched from Earth’s surface is to achieve a final speed of 1000 m/s. If the exhaust speed of the spent fuel is 2000 m/s, what fraction of the rocket’s total mass at launch must be fuel? (Assume that the engine burns rapidly enough that you may ignore any effects due to Earth’s gravity during the burn.)
[tex]
\[
v_f =v_i +v_{ex} \ln \left[ {\frac{m_i }{m_f }} \right]
\]
\[
v_f -v_i =v_{ex} \ln \left[ {\frac{m_i }{m_f }} \right]
\]
\[
\ln \left[ {\frac{m_i }{m_f }} \right]=\frac{v_f -v_i }{v_{ex} }
\]
\[
\ln \left[ {\frac{m_i }{m_f }} \right]=\frac{1000m/s-0m/s}{2000m/s}
\]
\[
\ln \left[ {\frac{m_i }{m_f }} \right]=0.5
\]
\[
\ln ^{-1}\left[ {0.5} \right]=1.6487
\]
\[
\frac{m_i }{m_f }=1.67487
\]
\[
\frac{m_f }{m_i }=\frac{1}{1.67487}
\]
\[
\frac{m_f }{m_i }=0.60653
\]
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Im not sure if that's right since gravity is not taken into account. You need to account for the force on the rocket caused by gravity as it is going up.

Regards,

Nenad

The instructions said to "Assume that the engine burns rapidly enough that you may ignore any effects due to Earth’s gravity during the burn"

tony873004 said:
The instructions said to "Assume that the engine burns rapidly enough that you may ignore any effects due to Earth’s gravity during the burn"

Your calculation looks OK to me as long as you remember that the answer is [tex]1-\frac{m_f }{m_i }[/tex].

Janitor said:
Your calculation looks OK to me as long as you remember that the answer is [tex]1-\frac{m_f }{m_i }[/tex].
That makes sense. The fraction represents the ratio of the rocket before and after, not the fuel, so subtracting it from 1 which represents the full rocket gives me the fuel ratio.

Thanks guys.

1. What is a fuel mass fraction?

A fuel mass fraction is the ratio of the mass of fuel to the total mass of the rocket. It is typically expressed as a percentage and is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of a rocket launch.

2. Why is finding the fuel mass fraction important in solving a rocket launch problem?

The fuel mass fraction is a critical factor in determining the amount of fuel needed for a successful rocket launch. By finding the optimal fuel mass fraction, scientists can minimize the weight of the rocket while still ensuring there is enough fuel for a successful launch.

3. How do you calculate the fuel mass fraction?

The fuel mass fraction can be calculated by dividing the mass of the fuel by the total mass of the rocket (including the fuel). This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

4. What variables affect the fuel mass fraction?

The fuel mass fraction can be affected by a number of variables, such as the desired speed and altitude of the rocket, the type of fuel being used, and the overall design and weight of the rocket.

5. How can the fuel mass fraction be optimized for a rocket launch?

To optimize the fuel mass fraction, scientists and engineers can use mathematical models and simulations to determine the most efficient combination of fuel type, rocket design, and other variables. They can also conduct experiments to test and refine their calculations.