Rocket Propulsion Speed of Fragments

In summary: If the rocket was not traveling vertically but horizontally then the maximum height would be reached when the horizontal velocity was zero. So for both cases the maximum height is reached when the velocity is zero.
tmle04
A fireworks rocket is fired vertically upward. At its maximum height of 75.0m , it explodes and breaks into two pieces, one with mass = 1.25kg and the other with mass = 0.240kg . In the explosion, 910 J of chemical energy is converted to kinetic energy of the two fragments.

a) What is the speed of each fragment just after the explosion?

b) It is observed that the two fragments hit the ground at the same time. What is the distance between the points on the ground where they land? Assume that the ground is level and air resistance can be ignored.

Physics news on Phys.org
i have no clue...omg...my head hurts trying to understand this problem..ahhaahah

tmle04 said:
i have no clue...omg...my head hurts trying to understand this problem..ahhaahah

Wow... Idiot. It's going at a certain speed and the distance between them is a certain number. Which I have no idea of.

Does the rocket have zero velocity at maximum height?

a. There is some chemcial energy, 910 J, that becomes kinetic energy of the two fragments. Also the energy is divided according to the momentum, so used the conservation of momentum.

b. For each piece to hit the ground at the same time, they must have the same initial vertical speed, which has to be _________, based on the momentum at maximum height.

So each piece is in free fall.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

More generally - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html

so the 910 J is the KE

and if so...KE = (0.5*1.25*(v1^2)) + (0.5*.240*(v2^2)) ?

i don't kno if the rocket has zero velocity at maximum height...it didnt say in da problem...

tmle04 said:
i don't kno if the rocket has zero velocity at maximum height...it didnt say in da problem...
Well if it was traveling upward (vertically) then by definition maximum height is achieved when the vertical velocity is zero (change in vertical displacement has to be zero). So assum the rocket velocity is zero when it explodes.

1. What is the maximum speed that rocket propulsion can achieve for fragments?

The maximum speed of rocket propulsion for fragments depends on several factors such as the type of propellant used, the design of the rocket engine, and the mass and shape of the fragments. Generally, the speed can range from a few hundred meters per second to several kilometers per second.

2. How is the speed of fragments in rocket propulsion measured?

The speed of fragments in rocket propulsion is measured using various methods such as Doppler radar, optical tracking, and high-speed cameras. These methods allow for accurate measurement of the velocity of fragments at different stages of rocket propulsion.

3. Can the speed of fragments in rocket propulsion be controlled?

Yes, the speed of fragments in rocket propulsion can be controlled by adjusting the amount and type of propellant used, as well as the design of the rocket engine. By altering these factors, scientists and engineers can optimize the speed of fragments for a specific purpose or application.

4. What are the potential dangers of high speeds in rocket propulsion for fragments?

High speeds in rocket propulsion for fragments can pose several dangers, such as structural damage to the rocket, overheating of the fragments, and potential collisions with other objects in space. These dangers must be carefully considered and mitigated in the design and testing of rocket propulsion systems.

5. How does rocket propulsion for fragments differ from other types of propulsion?

Rocket propulsion for fragments differs from other types of propulsion, such as jet or propeller engines, in that it does not rely on the surrounding air for thrust. Instead, it uses a propellant to generate thrust and propel fragments in a specific direction. Additionally, rocket propulsion can achieve much higher speeds compared to other types of propulsion.