Rocky planets around red dwarfs

• I
  • Thread starter virgil1612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planets
In summary, red dwarfs have low mass and can only hold planets in their orbit when they are close to the star, making them more susceptible to solar winds and radiation. This could make it difficult for life to form, but if it does, it may have enhanced mechanisms to repair radiation damage. The presence of more atmosphere and liquid water could also offer some protection. As for types of planets, it is uncertain whether red dwarfs favor rocky or gaseous planets, but the discovery of the Trappist system with 7 rocky planets orbiting a red dwarf is remarkable.
virgil1612
Hello,

1. Does the star type influence the type of planets forming around it? Specifically, could a red dwarf favour the formation of rocky planets around them, compared to gas giants?
2. Planets would be much closer to a red dwarf star than they are for a solar type star. Consequently, the radiations (stellar wind, UV) would, I presume, be much stronger than for Earth. Can we even conceive the possibility for life in such conditions, even inside the habitable zone?

Thanks for your insight,
Virgil.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Here is my logic...
Red dwarfs have relatively low mass, and thus can only hold planets in their orbit when the planets are relatively close to the star. Since they are closer to to the star, they will be more susceptible to solar winds. This would be a problem for life to form. Also, if complex life were to form, it would most likely have to develop heat sensing organs (in the place of eyes).
As for types of planets, I'm not entirely sure. I would think they would be mostly rocky planets but don't have much logic to back it up (without google o0)). Maybe since they are closer to the sun, the solar winds would be more likely to blow away gaseous atmosphere.

virgil1612 said:
Consequently, the radiations (stellar wind, UV) would, I presume, be much stronger than for Earth. Can we even conceive the possibility for life in such conditions, even inside the habitable zone?

Higher radiation is not that big problem.

First, more atmosphere protects better. Say, a version of Earth but with 3 atm surface pressure (three times more massive atmosphere).

Second, evolution does not prefer the best possible resistance to radiation in living beings. Evolution _needs_ mutations to happen, it only needs to make sure that radiation damage is not causing organisms to not survive until they have offspring. It's quite likely that life in more radioactive environments will simply have enhanced mechanisms to repair that damage.

In Three Mile reactor cleanup effort, one of the difficulties encountered was the growth of cyanobacteria in the water. *In the reactor vessel*, whose walls were emitting several thousands roentgen per hour.

Likes Rubidium_71 and Comeback City
@nikkkom that is very true. One thing that comes to mind, though... is there anything that prevents liquid water from collecting on these planets (i.e. the higher radiation)?

Also what do you think about the planet situation (rocky vs gaseous)?

I was thinking about red dwarfs possibly favouring rocky planet formation because of the recent discovery of the Trappist system... A red dwarf surrounded by 7 (!) rocky planets... seems quite extraordinary.

1. What are rocky planets around red dwarfs?

Rocky planets around red dwarfs are planets that are similar in composition to Earth and are located within the habitable zone of a red dwarf star. They are considered potential candidates for hosting life due to their proximity to their host star and the potential for liquid water on their surface.

2. How common are rocky planets around red dwarfs?

Rocky planets around red dwarfs are estimated to be the most common type of planet in the Milky Way galaxy. It is estimated that about 75% of all stars in the galaxy are red dwarfs, and many of these stars are thought to have at least one rocky planet in their habitable zone.

3. What makes red dwarfs suitable for hosting rocky planets?

Red dwarfs are small, cool stars that emit less heat and light than other types of stars. This means that rocky planets in their habitable zone would receive less radiation and be less affected by solar flares, making them more likely to maintain a stable atmosphere and potentially support life.

4. What challenges do rocky planets around red dwarfs face?

One major challenge for rocky planets around red dwarfs is their proximity to their host star. Due to their close orbits, these planets may become tidally locked, meaning one side always faces the star while the other is in constant darkness. This could make maintaining a habitable climate difficult. Additionally, red dwarfs are known to be highly active stars, which could lead to harsh radiation and solar flares that could affect the planet's atmosphere and surface.

5. How do scientists search for rocky planets around red dwarfs?

Scientists use a variety of methods to search for rocky planets around red dwarfs, including the transit method, radial velocity method, and direct imaging. The transit method involves detecting dips in the brightness of a star as a planet passes in front of it. The radial velocity method looks for slight changes in a star's motion caused by the gravitational pull of an orbiting planet. Direct imaging involves using powerful telescopes to directly observe the planet and its host star. All of these methods have been successful in detecting rocky planets around red dwarfs.