Rod that slides up easily but slowly on way down

  • Thread starter Thread starter manp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rod
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
manp
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
I'm sort of stuck on a fiddly point at the moment. I'm trying to make a rod go upwards with ease but slow down on the way down (or even stop for a few seconds) when it has been completely let go by the pulling action (without any external energy). Anyone have any clues of how I can achieve this? Please ask me questions for additional details as I may have missed out vital points to include in my post.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
manp said:
I'm sort of stuck on a fiddly point at the moment. I'm trying to make a rod go upwards with ease but slow down on the way down (or even stop for a few seconds) when it has been completely let go by the pulling action (without any external energy). Anyone have any clues of how I can achieve this? Please ask me questions for additional details as I may have missed out vital points to include in my post.

mfb said:
Something like a ratchet?

Or a hydraulic shock absorber mechanism with 1-way valves for different damping rates for the up and down directions...?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
berkeman said:
Or a hydraulic shock absorber mechanism with 1-way valves for different damping rates for the up and down directions...?

My first thought exactly
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
A hand bicycle pump come to mind.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thanks all, I've got a superb idea now, I am going down the ratchet route although a hydraulic type pump was also a good idea but takes up a small amount of pull energy due to the tight conceals I would've had to put around it. Whereas with the ratchet design I'm thinking of there would be almost no extra energy needed and more crucially I can time it to execute an exact timed drop. Cheers all, this forum is the best :)