Rod that slides up easily but slowly on way down

• Thread starter manp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to make a rod go upwards easily but slow down or stop on its way down without any external energy. Suggestions such as using a ratchet or a hydraulic shock absorber mechanism were given. The person has now decided to go with the ratchet design as it requires less energy and can be timed for a precise drop. They thank everyone for their ideas and the helpful forum.
manp
I'm sort of stuck on a fiddly point at the moment. I'm trying to make a rod go upwards with ease but slow down on the way down (or even stop for a few seconds) when it has been completely let go by the pulling action (without any external energy). Anyone have any clues of how I can achieve this? Please ask me questions for additional details as I may have missed out vital points to include in my post.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Something like a ratchet?

Likes 1 person
manp said:
I'm sort of stuck on a fiddly point at the moment. I'm trying to make a rod go upwards with ease but slow down on the way down (or even stop for a few seconds) when it has been completely let go by the pulling action (without any external energy). Anyone have any clues of how I can achieve this? Please ask me questions for additional details as I may have missed out vital points to include in my post.

mfb said:
Something like a ratchet?

Or a hydraulic shock absorber mechanism with 1-way valves for different damping rates for the up and down directions...?

Likes 1 person
berkeman said:
Or a hydraulic shock absorber mechanism with 1-way valves for different damping rates for the up and down directions...?

My first thought exactly

Likes 1 person
A hand bicycle pump come to mind.

Likes 1 person
Thanks all, I've got a superb idea now, I am going down the ratchet route although a hydraulic type pump was also a good idea but takes up a small amount of pull energy due to the tight conceals I would've had to put around it. Whereas with the ratchet design I'm thinking of there would be almost no extra energy needed and more crucially I can time it to execute an exact timed drop. Cheers all, this forum is the best :)

FAQ: Rod that slides up easily but slowly on way down

1. Why does the rod slide up easily but slowly on the way down?

The rod slides up easily due to the force of gravity pulling it down. However, the resistance of friction causes it to slide down slowly.

2. Can this phenomenon be observed in other objects besides a rod?

Yes, this phenomenon is commonly observed in objects with a smooth surface and a significant difference in weight between the two ends, such as a ruler or a rolling pin.

3. How does the angle of the surface affect the speed of the rod on its way down?

The steeper the angle of the surface, the faster the rod will slide down due to the increased force of gravity pulling it down.

4. Is there a way to make the rod slide down faster?

Yes, reducing the friction between the rod and the surface, such as by applying a lubricant, can make the rod slide down faster.

5. What factors can affect the speed of the rod on its way down?

The weight and shape of the rod, the angle of the surface, and the amount of friction between the rod and the surface are all factors that can affect the speed of the rod on its way down.

Back