Root of equation with 2 exponentials

• Thread starter ephedyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary: The first equation (x^3-e^x) has a single solution of x=-3W\left(\frac{-1}{3}\right)^Brown399: ...mmm.The second equation (x^2-e^x) has two solutions of x=-lW\left(\frac{-1}{3}\right)^Brown399: ...mmm.In summary, the homework equations have two solutions, one involving a negative number and the other involving a positive number.
ephedyn

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework question, but I was considering a different model of library fines... where the fine at the end of the 1st late day is $0.01, and it increases geometrically with a common ratio of 2, so it goes like

$0.01, $0.03, $0.07, $0.15...

Then I was comparing this with a typical model of $0.10 additional fines with each day

$0.10, $0.20, $0.30, $0.40...

2. Homework Equations /attempt at a solution

Now, I can work out the day (let n denote this term) when the accumulated fines on the geometric model exceeds the arithmetic model by plotting the graph, where I get

0.1 + 0.1(n-1) < 0.01(2n-1)
10n - 2n + 1 < 0

which has integer solutions for n = 6 or greater. My question is, how do you algebraically solve these sort of equations where the variable is involved twice, as an index and as a base? For example...

x3 - ex = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what exactly do you mean when you say "how would you solve for this?" -- ?

If you wanted to find out the number of days which it took for the fine to raise to, say, five dollars (5) you could have to first take the natural log of both sides to get e^x to become x.
and then simply solve

x^3 - e^x = 5

x^3 - x = ln 5

x^3 = x + ln 5

divide by x

x^2 = ln 5

x = sqrt ( ln 5)

but perhaps you mean something els.

Brown399 you've broken way too many algebraic rules. I suggest you go back and revise that subject.

e.g.
Going from
[tex]x^3 - e^x = 5[/tex]
to
[tex]x^3-x=ln(5)[/tex]
is wrong.

From
[tex]x^3 = x + ln 5[/tex]
to
[tex]x^2=ln(5)[/tex]
is very wrong.ephedyn, your problem can't be solved in terms of elementary functions. Basically, you'll only be able to get a good approximation at best.

You can solve these types of problems in terms of the Lambert W function though.

This says that if [itex]y=xe^x[/itex] then [itex]x=W(y)[/itex].

So, for your example [itex]x^3=e^x[/itex]

[tex]1=x^3e^{-x}[/tex]

[tex]1=xe^{\frac{-x}{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-1}{3}=\frac{-x}{3}e^{\frac{-x}{3}}[/tex]

Hence, [tex]\frac{-x}{3}=W\left(\frac{-1}{3}\right)[/tex]

[tex]x=-3W\left(\frac{-1}{3}\right)[/tex]

^Brown399: ...mmm.

^Mentallic: Ohh! I get how that works now. Thanks a lot. I think there are two complex solutions too but I figured how to work those out.

What is a root of an equation with 2 exponentials?

A root of an equation with 2 exponentials is a value that makes the equation true when substituted for the variable. In other words, it is the value of the variable that satisfies the equation.

How do you solve an equation with 2 exponentials?

To solve an equation with 2 exponentials, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphical methods. One common approach is to isolate one exponential term on one side of the equation and then use logarithms to solve for the variable.

Can an equation with 2 exponentials have more than one root?

Yes, an equation with 2 exponentials can have more than one root. In fact, it can have an infinite number of roots, depending on the specific values of the exponents and coefficients in the equation.

What are the real and complex roots of an equation with 2 exponentials?

The real roots of an equation with 2 exponentials are values that are real numbers, meaning they can be plotted on a number line. Complex roots, on the other hand, involve imaginary numbers and cannot be plotted on a number line.

How can I check if my solution for an equation with 2 exponentials is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by substituting the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and your solution to visually confirm if it is correct.