1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roots of a quadratic equation.

1. Dec 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\alpha^{2}[/itex] are two roots of the equation x[itex]^{2}[/itex] -12x + k = 0

Find 2 values for k.

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\alpha[/itex] + [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] = 12
    [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]^{3}[/itex] = k

I have no idea where to go from here. Any help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Solve for α in the equation α2 + α - 12 = 0. Then substitute into your second equation to find k.

4. Dec 30, 2011 #3
    a(1 + a) = 12
    a = 12 a = 11

12[itex]^{2}[/itex] - 12(12) + k = 0
    k = 0

11[itex]^{2}[/itex] -12(11) + k = 0
    k = 11

Is this right, because the answers at the back of my book are k = -64 k = 27

5. Dec 30, 2011 #4

Mark44

This is not how to solve a quadratic equation. Read what I said in post #2.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. Dec 30, 2011 #5
    I apologize both to you and myself for such an error in my judgement.

Is there a rule as to when you are allowed to factorize via taking out what's common? Does the equation have to equal zero?

7. Dec 30, 2011 #6

Mark44

Let me be a bit pedantic here by saying that an equation does not equal a number. An expression can be equal to a number, but an equation already has an '=' mark in it, so it would be meaningless to say that an equation is equal to zero or any other number.

What you might be alluding to is a theorem that says if the product of two numbers is 0, then one or the other of the numbers, or both, must be 0.

What you had was a(a + 1) = 12, from which you concluded that a = 12 or a = 11. This doesn't work at all. There are lots of ways that two numbers can multiply to 12, such as 1*12, 2*6, 3*4, (1/3)*36, -1*(-12), etc., etc. If you had checked your work, by replacing a with 12, you would have seen that 12(13) ≠ 12. Similarly, if a = 11, you would have seen that 11(12) ≠ 12.

But, by writing the equation as a2 + 1 - 12 = 0, and then factoring or using the Quadratic Formula, you should come out with the values that are solutions to the equation.

8. Dec 30, 2011 #7
    Ah ok, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook