Eliminating XY-Term: Solving for Rotated Axes in Conic Sections

In summary, the professor is looking for an equation not an answer. He is trying to rotate the axes to eliminate the xy-term. However, he is having trouble. He has two choices, but I am not sure how to get to that point. He can either solve the equation or reduce it to its standard Euclidean form. He introduces new variables and solves for x and y.
TonyC
I am having trouble rotating the axes to eliminate the xy-term.
8x^2+64xy+8y^2+12x+12y+9=0

I know Ax^2+Bxy+Cy^2+Dx+Ey+F=0
however, the professor is looking for an equation not an answer.

Here are my choices and I am stumped:
40x^2 + 12 sq rt2 x + 12 sq rt 2 y + 9 = 0

40x^2 - 24y^2 +12 sq rt2y +9 = 0

-24y^2 + 12 sq rt2x + 12 sq rt 2y + 9 = 0

40x^2 - 24y^ + 12 sq rt2x + 9 = 0

I am not sure what the process is to get to this point. I can run the basic Rotation Theorem for Conics and answer the problem with an angle degree.

PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can also reduce these conics to their standard Euclidean form using lineair algebra, by diagonalizing the corresponding matrix.

Introduce new variables as follows:
[tex]u=x\cos\theta+y\sin\theta, v=-x\sin\theta+y\cos\theta[/tex]
Here, [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the positive x-axis and the positive u-axis.

Solve for x and y in terms of u and v, and gain:
[tex]x=u\cos\theta-v\sin\theta, y=u\sin\theta+v\cos\theta[/tex]

Substitute these expressions for x and y in your equation, and eliminate the uv-term by making a smart choice of [tex]\theta[/tex]

then, redefine "u" and "v" to be new "x" and "y".
(I don't see much point in doing so, but it seems your professor wants you to do that)

Last edited:
Can you show me how?

Put the expressions in u and v for x into the x's place, and similar for the expression for y.

For example, [tex]x^{2}=(u\cos\theta-v\sin\theta)^{2}=u^{2}\cos^{2}\theta-uv\sin(2\theta)+v^{2}\sin^{2}\theta[/tex]

If you haven't done so already, we also have:
[tex]xy=(u\cos\theta-v\sin\theta)(u\sin\theta+v\cos\theta)=\frac{u^{2}-v^{2}}{2}\sin(2\theta)+uv\cos(2\theta)[/tex]
[tex]y^{2}=(u\sin\theta+v\cos\theta)^{2}=u^{2}\sin^{2}\theta+uv\sin(2\theta)+v^{2}\cos^{2}\theta[/tex]
Use these expressions to your heart's content..

You were given [tex]x=u\cos\theta-v\sin\theta, y=u\sin\theta+v\cos\theta[/tex]
Go ahead and replace x and y in your equation by those, do the algebra and then pick θ so that the "uv" term has 0 coefficient.

Tony, what happen with all this? You figured the angle via:

[tex]Cot[2\alpha]=\frac{A-C}{B}[/tex]

so you get:

[tex]\alpha=\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Great. Make the substitution:

[tex]x=\overline{x}Cos[\alpha]-\overline{y}Sin[\alpha][/tex]

[tex]y=\overline{x}Sin[\alpha]+\overline{y}Cos[\alpha][/tex]

Substitute those expressions into the equation right. For example the [itex]8x^2[/itex] would be:

[tex]8\left[\frac{\overline{x}}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{\overline{y}}{\sqrt{2}}\right]^2[/tex]

You can do the rest. Simplify to:

[tex]40\overline{x}^2-24\overline{y}^2+12\sqrt{2}\overline{x}+9=0[/tex]

The [itex]\overline{x}-\overline{y} [/itex] axes are just 45 degrees tilted from the x-y axes. The equation is a hyperbola.

Right?

Edit: Corrected angle formula: it's Cot(2a)

Last edited:
Thank you very much. This distance learning is extremely difficult. I am a visual person and your help is truly appreciated.

1. What is "rotating axes to eliminate xy" and why is it important in science?

"Rotating axes to eliminate xy" refers to the mathematical process of transforming a coordinate system by rotating it to eliminate the xy term in the equation. This is important in science because it simplifies equations and makes it easier to solve problems involving rotation or angular motion.

2. How is the xy term eliminated when rotating axes?

The xy term is eliminated by finding the angle of rotation that makes the xy term disappear from the equation. This is achieved by using the trigonometric functions sine and cosine to express the new coordinates in terms of the old coordinates.

3. Can rotating axes to eliminate xy be applied to any type of equation?

Yes, rotating axes can be applied to any equation that contains an xy term. This includes equations in physics, engineering, and other fields that deal with rotation or angular motion.

4. What are the benefits of using rotating axes to eliminate xy?

The benefits of using rotating axes to eliminate xy include simplifying equations, making it easier to solve problems involving rotation, and providing a more intuitive understanding of the problem at hand.

5. Are there any limitations to using rotating axes to eliminate xy?

One limitation of using rotating axes to eliminate xy is that it only works for equations with an xy term. It also requires a good understanding of trigonometry and coordinate geometry. Additionally, it may not always provide the most efficient solution to a problem.