Rotation matrix arbitrary axis?

In summary: J_i - (1/6)\alpha^3 \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 n_i^3J_i - ... + (1/n!)\alpha^n \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 n_i^nJ_i + ...Finally, using the surjectivity of the matrix exponent function, we can conclude that R(n,\alpha) = exp(\alpha A) = exp(\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 n_iJ_i) = exp(\alpha J_1)^{n_1}exp(\alpha J_2)^{n_2
Yoran91
Hello everyone.

I'm having some trouble with rotation matrices. I'm given three matrices

[itex]J_1, J_2, J_3[/itex]

which form a basis for the set of skew-symmetric matrices ([itex]\mathfrak{so}_3[/itex]).
Further, the matrix exponent function is such that

[itex]exp[\alpha J_i]=R_i(\alpha)[/itex],

so taking the exponent of the matrix [itex]J_i[/itex] yields precisely the rotation matrix around the i-th standard basisvector, specified by the angle [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Now I wish to show that any rotation matrix [itex]R(n,\alpha)[/itex] specified by an axis (unit vector) [itex]n[/itex] and angle [itex]\alpha[/itex], can be written as

[itex]R(n,\alpha)= exp(\alpha \sum n_i J_i )[/itex].

Here, [itex]n_i[/itex] are the components of the unit vector n.
I know I will need the surjectivity of exp for this. Given the surjectivity of exp, how does one show the above is true?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

As a fellow scientist, I understand the difficulties you may be facing with rotation matrices. Let me try to explain how you can prove the given statement using the surjectivity of the matrix exponent function.

Firstly, let's recall that the matrix exponent function is defined as exp(A) = I + A + (1/2)A^2 + (1/6)A^3 + ... + (1/n!)A^n + ... where I is the identity matrix. Since J_1, J_2, and J_3 form a basis for \mathfrak{so}_3, we can express any skew-symmetric matrix A as a linear combination of these matrices, i.e., A = \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 a_iJ_i where a_i are scalar coefficients.

Now, let's consider the rotation matrix R(n,\alpha) specified by an axis n and angle \alpha. We can express this matrix as R(n,\alpha) = I + \alpha A where A is a skew-symmetric matrix. Since n is a unit vector, we can write A = \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 n_iJ_i where n_i are the components of n.

Using the definition of the matrix exponent function, we can write R(n,\alpha) as R(n,\alpha) = exp(\alpha A) = I + \alpha A + (1/2)(\alpha A)^2 + (1/6)(\alpha A)^3 + ... + (1/n!)(\alpha A)^n + ...

Substituting A = \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 n_iJ_i, we get R(n,\alpha) = I + \alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 n_iJ_i + (1/2)(\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 n_iJ_i)^2 + (1/6)(\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 n_iJ_i)^3 + ... + (1/n!)(\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 n_iJ_i)^n + ...

Now, using the properties of skew-symmetric matrices, we can simplify this expression to R(n,\alpha) = I + \alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^3 n_iJ_i - (

Related to Rotation matrix arbitrary axis?

1. What is a rotation matrix and its purpose?

A rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the rotation of an object in three-dimensional space. It is a square matrix that represents a transformation from one coordinate system to another, and it is used to calculate the new coordinates of a point after rotation.

2. How does a rotation matrix work?

A rotation matrix works by multiplying the original coordinates of a point by the rotation matrix. The resulting coordinates are the new coordinates of the point after rotation. The rotation matrix is derived from the properties of rotation, such as the angle and axis of rotation.

3. What is an arbitrary axis of rotation?

An arbitrary axis of rotation is any line or vector in three-dimensional space that is not aligned with any of the three axes (x, y, and z). It can be any direction, and it is used to describe a rotation that is not around a standard axis.

4. How do you calculate a rotation matrix for an arbitrary axis?

To calculate a rotation matrix for an arbitrary axis, you need to determine the angle of rotation and the direction of the axis. Then, you can use the Rodrigues' rotation formula to calculate the rotation matrix. This formula uses the angle and axis of rotation to create a matrix that can be multiplied with the original coordinates to obtain the new coordinates after rotation.

5. What are the applications of rotation matrices with arbitrary axes?

Rotation matrices with arbitrary axes are used in various fields, such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They are used to describe and calculate the rotation of objects in three-dimensional space. For example, they can be used to animate 3D objects in computer graphics or to calculate the orientation of a spacecraft in space.