How Does Skidding Affect Angular Acceleration on a Rotating Turntable?

In summary, a record is dropped onto a turntable rotating at a constant speed of 3.0 rads^-1. While the record initially skids on the turntable, it eventually begins to rotate at the same speed as the turntable. When the turntable has rotated 0.2 rad, the record is still skidding and has not yet reached the constant speed. The time it takes for the turntable to rotate 0.2 rad is used to calculate the average angular acceleration of the record before it reaches the constant speed.
Kurokari

Homework Statement

A turntable rotates at a uniform angular speed of 3.0 rads^-1. A record is dropped from rest onto the turntable. Initially the record skids on the turntable but eventually rotates together withe the turntable.

(a) While the record is skidding on the turntable, the angular displacement of the turntable is 0.20rad. Find the average angular acceleration of the record before it achieves the constant speed of the turntable.

Homework Equations

I'm writing this with reference to linear motion since the symbols used in rotational are a bit tedious to write, but I'm confident you will understand.

s = ut + [(1/2)at^2)
ωf=ωi+αt

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I had some guidance, first that is to find the time of the turntable when it moved 0.2rad while the record was skidding.

Then time is substituted into the second equation I've given above to find the angular acceleration.

The problem is I don't understand what is the relation between the time taken for the turntable to travel 0.2rad and the angular acceleration of the record.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\omega_f=\omega_i+\alpha t [/tex]

[tex]\omega_f=\omega_i+\alpha t [/tex]

The problem is I don't understand what is the relation between the time taken for the turntable to travel 0.2rad and the angular acceleration of the record.
During this time (or equivalently, during this angular displacement) the record is sliding--a frictional force is being applied to the record, resulting in its acceleration. When the speed of the record increases to that of the turntable, it no longer slides (no longer is a frictional force causing acceleration) and so it maintains the same speed as the turntable. Hope this helps.

lewando said:
During this time (or equivalently, during this angular displacement) the record is sliding--a frictional force is being applied to the record, resulting in its acceleration. When the speed of the record increases to that of the turntable, it no longer slides (no longer is a frictional force causing acceleration) and so it maintains the same speed as the turntable. Hope this helps.

So when the question says skidding, actually is the record moving?

@IssacNewton thnks! I'm not too familiar with all the scripting, you're a fantastic help! =)

Kurokari said:
So when the question says skidding, actually is the record moving?
Initially, it is not moving--"dropped from rest", yet upon contact with the turntable it begins to move (rotate). It starts at 0 rads/sec and increases until it acheives 3 rads/sec.

1. What is the definition of "rotation of a rigid body"?

The rotation of a rigid body refers to the movement of an object around an axis or point, causing it to change its orientation in space.

2. How is rotation different from translation?

Rotation involves movement around an axis, while translation involves movement in a straight line. In rotation, all points of the object move in circular paths, while in translation, all points move in parallel lines.

3. What is the axis of rotation?

The axis of rotation is an imaginary line that passes through the center of the object and around which the object rotates.

4. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. It is measured in radians per second.

5. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotation of a rigid body?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque (force) to rotate at the same speed as objects with a smaller moment of inertia.