Calculating Time for Rotation Problem with Coefficient of Friction μ

• Thread starter timtng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, a disk with radius R and angular velocity ω on a horizontal surface will stop in t = (ωR)/(2μg) seconds due to a frictional force of μMg and a net torque of -2μg/R.
timtng
A disk witht the radius R is launched with the angular velocity ω on a horizontal surface. How long will it take until the disk stops, if the coefficient of friction is μ.

This is what I came up with, but don't know if I did it correctly:

For frictional force I got μMg
-net torque = I(alpha), alpha = -μMg/.5MR = -2μg/R
ω = ω0 +alpha(t) >> 0 = ω-(2μg/R)t

I got t = (ωR)/(2μg) >>Is this the correct answer?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by timtng
>>Is this the correct answer?
Yes.

for your question! Your approach to solving this problem is correct. To find the time it takes for the disk to stop, we can use the equation ω = ω0 +alpha(t), where ω0 is the initial angular velocity, alpha is the angular acceleration, and t is the time.

First, let's find the angular acceleration using the equation for net torque, τ = I(alpha). We can rearrange this to solve for alpha, which gives us alpha = τ/I. In this case, the net torque is equal to the frictional force, μMg, and the moment of inertia of a disk is given by 1/2MR^2. So we have alpha = (μMg)/(1/2MR^2).

Now, we can substitute this value for alpha into the equation for angular velocity, ω = ω0 +alpha(t). Since we want to find the time it takes for the disk to stop, we can set the final angular velocity to be zero. This gives us 0 = ω0 + (μMg)/(1/2MR^2)t.

Solving for t, we get t = -2ω0R/(μg). However, this answer is in terms of the initial angular velocity, ω0. To get the answer in terms of the coefficient of friction, we can use the equation ω0 = ωR, where ω is the linear velocity and R is the radius of the disk. Substituting this into our equation for t, we get t = (ωR)/(2μg).

So your answer, t = (ωR)/(2μg), is correct! This means that the time it takes for the disk to stop is directly proportional to the linear velocity and the radius of the disk, and inversely proportional to the coefficient of friction and the acceleration due to gravity.

I hope this helps clarify your solution. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: Calculating Time for Rotation Problem with Coefficient of Friction μ

1. How do you calculate the time for rotation problem with coefficient of friction μ?

The time for rotation problem with coefficient of friction μ can be calculated using the equation: T = (2π√(IμmgR))/(MR^2), where T is the time, π is the mathematical constant pi, I is the moment of inertia, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass, and R is the radius.

2. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measurement of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle in the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation and then adding all of these values together.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the time for rotation problem?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in determining the time for rotation problem. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance to motion, which will result in a longer time for rotation. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of friction will result in less resistance and a shorter time for rotation.

4. Can the time for rotation problem be calculated without knowing the coefficient of friction?

No, the coefficient of friction is a necessary component in the equation for calculating the time for rotation problem. Without this value, the equation would be incomplete and the time cannot be accurately determined.

5. What are the units for time in the equation for calculating the time for rotation problem?

The units for time in the equation are seconds (s). However, it is important to note that the units for the other variables (I, μ, m, R) may vary depending on the system of units being used.