Rotational Dynamics: Moment of Inertia of 0.44 kg Meter Stick

In summary, the question was asking for the moment of inertia of a meter stick of mass 0.44 kg rotating in the horizontal plane about a vertical axis passing through the 30 cm mark. The correct formula for rotational inertia is I = 1/3 ML^2 for a long uniform rod, and using this formula with the given values, the moment of inertia is calculated to be 0.064 kg.m^2.
PhysicsDud
Wanted to check this question also:

A meter stick of mass 0.44 kg rotates, in the horizontal plane, about a vertical
axis passing through the 30 cm mark. What is the moment of inertia of the stick?
(Treat it as a long uniform rod)

Answer: I = 0.1628 kg.m^2

Correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than just give your answer, always show how you got your answer. (At least give the formulas that you used.) I assume you meant to calculate the moment of inertia about that axis.

My Work

So I was a little confused but I calculated using the formula I = mr^2 for both sides of the stick and then added them:

I = (0.132 kg)(0.3m)^2 + (0.308 kg)(0.7m)^2
= 0.1628 kg.m^2

What's the rotational inertia of a rod about one end? It's not [tex]I = m L^2[/tex] (where L is the length of the rod).

Inertia through end of uniform rod

That formula is I = 1/3ML^2

So the answer is 0.147 kg.m^2 ??

You have the correct formula for the rotational inertia, but recheck your calculation.

Is the correct answer 0.0132 kg.m^2

Using 0.3m for the Length?

In post #3 you showed your work using the incorrect formula for rotational inertia. How would you modify that calculation using the correct formula?

Ok hopefully I've got it this time

I = 1/3 ML1^2 + 1/3 ML2^2
= 1/3 (.132)(.3)^2 + 1/3 (.308)(.7)^2
= 0.064 kg.m^2

Your method is correct, but I suspect a typo in your final answer. (I get 0.054)

Thank You!

Thanks so much for your help!

Related to Rotational Dynamics: Moment of Inertia of 0.44 kg Meter Stick

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning, and how forces and torques affect their motion.

2. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a 0.44 kg meter stick?

The moment of inertia of a 0.44 kg meter stick can be calculated using the formula I = 1/12 * m * L^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the meter stick, and L is its length.

4. Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand how an object will respond to external forces and torques, and how its rotational motion will change.

5. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of a meter stick?

The moment of inertia of a meter stick affects how easily it can be rotated. A higher moment of inertia means the meter stick will be more resistant to changes in its rotational motion, while a lower moment of inertia means it will be easier to rotate.