Rotational Dynamics: Vectors & Tensors for Heavy Top & Equinox Precession

In summary: In that case,[tex]\left(\frac {d\mathbf I}{dt}\right)_I =-\left(\frac {d\mathbf I}{dt}\right)_R[/itex]which is the same as the result obtained from applying the above equations to a non-rotating frame.
Ray

Homework Statement

Does anyone know of a treatment of rotational dynamics especially the heavy top and precession of the equinoxes which uses only vectors and tensors. I've got treatments in terms of Lagrange's equations, but I wanted something using only torques etc.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?
http://theory.phy.umist.ac.uk/~mikeb/lecture/pc167/rigidbody/gyro.html

There's a good reason why general theory is not usually done using vectors and tensors: adding up large rotations is not commutative.

A 90 degree rotation about X followed by a 90 degree rotation about Y is not the same as rotation about Y and then about X.

The consequence is that arbitrary large rotations are not vector quantities! The "easy" way to get over that hurdle is to use Euler angles and a Lagrangian formulation instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks, that's just what I'm looking for.

AlephZero said:
The "easy" way to get over that hurdle is to use Euler angles and a Lagrangian formulation instead.

Don't do that! http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q="Euler+angles+are+evil"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8".

This first result is covered in most upper-level mechanics course: The relationship between time derivative of a vector quantuty in a rotating versus non-rotating frame.

Suppose we have two reference frames that share the same origin but one has inertial axes while the other is rotating at some rate [itex]\vect \omega[/itex] with respect to this inertial frame. The time derivative of some vector quantity [itex]\vect q[/itex] depends on the observer's reference frame:

[tex]
\left(\frac {d\vect q}{dt}\right)_I =
\left(\frac {d\vect q}{dt}\right)_R + \vect \omega \times \vect q
[/tex]

This can be applied to the problem of rigid body rotational dynamics to get a tensor/vector based version of Euler's equations for a rigid body.

Let
[tex]
\begin{matrix}
\mathbf I &\text{\ be the inertia matrix for some body} \\
\vect \omega &\text{\ be the rotation rate of the body with respect to inertial}
\end{matrix}
[/tex]

where both [itex]\mathbf I[/itex] and [itex]\vect \omega[/itex] are represented in the coordinates of the rotating body (body frame coordinates).

The angular momentum of the body with respect to inertial represented in body frame coordinates is

[tex]\vect L = \mathbf I\;\vect \omega[/itex]

Differentiating with respect to time,

[tex]\left(\frac {d\vect L}{dt}\right)_R =
\frac {d\mathbf I}{dt}\;\vect \omega +
\mathbf I\;\frac {d\vect \omega}{dt}[/itex]

Using the generic relation for the time derivative of a vector quantity,

[tex]\left(\frac {d\vect L}{dt}\right)_I =
\mathbf I\;\frac {d\vect \omega}{dt} +
\vect\omega\times(\mathbf I\;\vect \omega)
[/tex]

The rotational equivalent of Newton's second Law is

[tex]\left(\frac {d\vect L}{dt}\right)_I = \vect N[/tex]

where [itex]\vect N[/itex] os the net external torque acting on the body.

Combining the above,

[tex]
\mathbf I\;\frac {d\vect \omega}{dt} +
\vect\omega\times(\mathbf I\;\vect \omega) = \vect N
[/tex]

Note that if [itex]\mathbf I[/itex] is constant, the above reduces to

[tex]
\mathbf I\;\frac {d\vect \omega}{dt}
= \vect N - \vect\omega\times(\mathbf I\;\vect \omega)
[/tex]

The term [itex]\vect\omega\times(\mathbf I\;\vect \omega)[/itex] is the rotational analog of the Coriolis force.

Finally, Euler's equations result in the special case of [itex]\mathbf I[/itex] being a diagonal matrix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Rotational Dynamics: Vectors & Tensors for Heavy Top & Equinox Precession

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of objects that are rotating or spinning. It involves the use of vectors and tensors to describe the rotational motion of objects.

2. What is a heavy top in rotational dynamics?

A heavy top is a theoretical model used in rotational dynamics to study the motion of a rigid body with a fixed point of support. It is often used to analyze the behavior of objects such as gyroscopes and spinning tops.

3. What are vectors and tensors in rotational dynamics?

Vectors and tensors are mathematical tools used in rotational dynamics to describe the direction, magnitude, and orientation of rotational motion. Vectors represent the direction and magnitude of rotation, while tensors describe the transformation of vectors in three-dimensional space.

4. What is equinox precession in rotational dynamics?

Equinox precession is the phenomenon in which the Earth's axis of rotation slowly rotates in a circular motion over a period of approximately 26,000 years. This is caused by the gravitational pull of the Moon and Sun on the Earth's equatorial bulge.

5. How is rotational dynamics relevant in real-world applications?

Rotational dynamics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and sports. It is used to study the motion of objects such as satellites, planets, and spinning objects. Understanding rotational dynamics is also important in designing and analyzing machines and structures that involve rotational motion, such as engines and bridges.