Identifying the Potential Energy of a Spring Pulley System

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving and understanding potential energy in a physics class. The speaker suggests imagining the pulleys without the mass to identify potential energy, and calculating the length moved as the pulleys rotate. The correct equation for potential energy is given as U = 1/2kx2, with an additional unknown for the stretching of the spring. The need for calculating the potential energy of each spring is also mentioned.
whitejac

Homework Statement

Potential Energy Pulley system.JPG

Homework Equations

U = 1/2 kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I took dynamics off campus and needless to say, we didn't really do very much deriving so that aspect of physics really bogs me down and I'm trying to learn it now in another class. So if anyone wants to also add their approach or method to their answers, that would be greatly appreciated because I don't just want to learn it for specific cases.

To identify the potential energy, I imagine the pulleys without the mass. The right pulley would pull vertically. The wire or spring connecting the pulleys to each other would tracking around the circumference of the pulley. So the length it would move as it rotated would be
x = 2rθ

The left pulley is fixed, so it cannot move. The mass is not present in my understanding of the potential energy situation. This means that:

U = 1/2kx2 = 1/2k(2rθ)2

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
whitejac said:
the length it would move as it rotated would be
x = 2rθ
Yes, depending on exactly how you are defining x. Don't forget that in addition to the rotation of the right pulley the rightmost spring may stretch. I suggest you create an additional unknown for that.

whitejac said:
U = 1/2kx2= 1/2k(2rθ)2
Which spring is that for? Don't you need the PE of each spring?

• Skeptical
Likes reeagrawal

1. What is potential energy in a spring pulley system?

Potential energy in a spring pulley system refers to the stored energy that is waiting to be released due to the elastic potential of the spring and the position of the pulley.

2. How do you calculate the potential energy of a spring pulley system?

The formula for calculating potential energy in a spring pulley system is PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring.

3. Can potential energy in a spring pulley system be negative?

Yes, potential energy in a spring pulley system can be negative if the displacement of the spring is in the opposite direction of the force applied. This indicates that the system has lost potential energy and converted it into kinetic energy.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the potential energy in a spring pulley system?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the potential energy in a spring pulley system. However, if the mass is increased, the displacement of the spring may also change, resulting in a different potential energy value.

5. Is there a maximum potential energy in a spring pulley system?

Yes, there is a maximum potential energy in a spring pulley system, which occurs when the spring is at its maximum displacement. Beyond this point, the potential energy starts to decrease as the spring reaches its equilibrium position.