Rotational equilibrium formula

In summary: The meterstick is 0.100kg and the mass is 0.700kg. The mass hangs vertically from the 5.00cm mark. The string is attached to the ceiling and is pulling down on the meterstick with a force of 19.6 N. The mass attaches to the stick somewhere between the 0.2m mark and the 5.00cm mark.
syncstarr
Hi-
I have a homework question for physics. i have read the chapter in the book on it and have studied my notes and everything. i have been trying different ways for hours but i am unable to get any where. if you could help me get started on this problem that would be wonderful.

i thought that the .100kg and the .700kg is the mass and the gravity is 9.81 m/s squared and the force is 19.6N. and i drew a picture of my paper but i do not have any idea of how to use this information to get the answer or what kind of formula to use. This is the problem below. Please help me if you can.

PROBLEM-
A 0.100kg meterstick is supported at its 40.0cm mark by a string attached to the ceiling. A 0.700kg mass hangs vertically from the 5.00cm mark. a mass is attached somewher on the meterstick to keep it horizontal and in both rotational and translational equilibrium. if the force applied by the string attaching the meterstick to the ceiling is 19.6 N, determine the following:
a) the value of the unknown mass
b) the point where the mass attaches to the stick.

-Confussed on Physics problem:|

Physics news on Phys.org
The point of this question is to use moments (also known as torques). Pick one point as a pivot, and equate the moments to ensure no rotation. Then pick another point and do the same. If you pick the pivots wisely, then this will give you two equations involving the two unknowns (namely, the unknown mass, and position of the mass), which you will be able to solve.

also, you need to take into account the mass of the meter stick as it's given in the problem. you can do this by using the middle of a section as the distance of a section of the ms from the middle. for the mass you use the fact the the ms is uniform so 0.5 of the stick is 0.5 * the mass, 0.2m is 0.2 * the mass...
for example: from 0 to 0.4meters:
mass = 0.4*0.1kg
radius from pivot(0.4meters):
0.4/2 = 0.2meters

1. What is the rotational equilibrium formula?

The rotational equilibrium formula is used to calculate the net torque acting on an object in rotational equilibrium. It states that the sum of all torques acting on the object must be equal to zero for it to remain in rotational equilibrium.

2. How is the rotational equilibrium formula derived?

The rotational equilibrium formula is derived from the principle of torque, which states that the torque (or turning effect) of a force is equal to the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. By setting the sum of all torques to zero, we can determine the conditions for rotational equilibrium.

3. What are the units of the rotational equilibrium formula?

The units of the rotational equilibrium formula depend on the units used for force and distance. Generally, the units for torque are newton-meters (N·m) or pound-feet (lb·ft).

4. Can the rotational equilibrium formula be applied to any object?

Yes, the rotational equilibrium formula can be applied to any object as long as it is in rotational equilibrium and the forces acting on it are known. It is commonly used in analyzing the stability of structures and the forces acting on rotating objects.

5. How is the rotational equilibrium formula different from the equilibrium formula for linear motion?

The rotational equilibrium formula is specifically for objects in rotational equilibrium, where the net torque is equal to zero. The equilibrium formula for linear motion is for objects in translational equilibrium, where the net force is equal to zero. Additionally, the rotational equilibrium formula takes into account the distance from the pivot point, while the equilibrium formula for linear motion does not.