Rotational Freq of Wheel for "Artificial Gravity" of 9.3 m/s^2

In summary, a space station in the form of a large wheel with a diameter of 124 m can provide "artificial gravity" of 9.3 m/s^2 for people on the outer rim. To find the rotational frequency that produces this effect, the formula v^2=gr can be used, along with the formula w=v/r and w/2pi=frequency. It is important to pay attention to units, as the question specifically asks for the answer in revolutions per minute (rpm).
rrodriguez119
1. A space station in the form of a large wheel, 124 m in diamete, rotates to provide and "artificial gravity" of 9.3 m/s^2 for people located on the outer rim.

Find the rotational frequency of the wheel that will produce this effect.
(answer in units of rpm)

2. v^2=gr, w=v/r, w/2pi = frequency

3. To find velocity I used v^2=gr. I know that w=v/r so with my found velocity I divided it by the radius (62). to find the frequency=> w/2pi = frequency. I must be missing a step because the answer I got is wrong. Help would be fancied. thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The number you calculated for frequency is probably expressed in revolutions (cycles) per second (I'm guessing, since you did not show how you arrived at whatever answer you got). The question asks for revolutions per minute (rpm). You must watch units!

PhanthomJay said:
The number you calculated for frequency is probably expressed in revolutions (cycles) per second (I'm guessing, since you did not show how you arrived at whatever answer you got). The question asks for revolutions per minute (rpm). You must watch units!

what would you do?

nvm, I understand what i have to do. thanks!

I would like to commend your effort in trying to solve this problem. Your approach is correct, but there may be a small error in your calculation. Let me walk you through the steps again to help you find the correct answer.

First, we need to understand the concept of "artificial gravity" and how it is created in this scenario. The people on the outer rim of the wheel experience a centrifugal force that is equal to the force of gravity on Earth (9.8 m/s^2). This force is created due to the rotation of the wheel, and it is given by the equation F = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the person, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the wheel.

Now, we know that the desired "artificial gravity" is 9.3 m/s^2, so we can set up the equation as follows:

9.3 = v^2/r

Next, we need to find the linear velocity, v. This can be done by rearranging the equation as v = √(9.3r). Now, we can substitute this value into the equation w = v/r, where w is the angular velocity (in radians per second) and r is the radius of the wheel. The equation becomes w = √(9.3/r).

To convert this angular velocity into rotations per minute (rpm), we can use the formula w/2π = frequency. Substituting our value for w, we get:

√(9.3/r)/2π = frequency

Now, we can plug in the value for r, which is given as 62 m, to find the frequency in rpm:

√(9.3/62)/2π = frequency

Frequency = 0.094 rpm

Therefore, the rotational frequency of the wheel that will produce an "artificial gravity" of 9.3 m/s^2 is approximately 0.094 rpm.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better and find the correct answer. Keep up the good work!

1. How does the rotational frequency of a wheel create artificial gravity?

The rotational frequency of a wheel creates a centrifugal force that mimics the effects of gravity. As the wheel rotates, objects and people on its surface experience a force pushing them towards the outer edge of the wheel, giving the sensation of gravity.

2. What is the ideal rotational frequency for creating artificial gravity of 9.3 m/s^2?

The ideal rotational frequency depends on the size and radius of the wheel. Generally, a larger wheel with a larger radius will require a slower rotational frequency to achieve a gravitational force of 9.3 m/s^2. It is important to note that this force will also decrease towards the center of the wheel.

3. Can rotational frequency be used to create artificial gravity in space?

Yes, rotational frequency can be used to create artificial gravity in space. In fact, many proposed space habitats and spacecraft designs incorporate rotating wheels to simulate gravity and counteract the negative effects of microgravity on the human body.

4. How does the rotational frequency affect the perceived strength of artificial gravity?

The rotational frequency is directly related to the strength of artificial gravity experienced by objects on the wheel. A higher rotational frequency will result in a stronger centrifugal force and therefore a stronger perception of gravity. However, this force will also decrease towards the center of the wheel.

5. Are there any limitations to using rotational frequency for artificial gravity?

While rotational frequency can effectively simulate gravity, there are some limitations to this method. The size and speed of the rotating wheel must be carefully calculated to achieve the desired gravitational force, and this force will also decrease towards the center of the wheel. Additionally, prolonged exposure to artificial gravity can have negative effects on the human body, such as disorientation and motion sickness.