Calculating frictional force for a rolling wheel | F=ma and t=I(a/r) equations

In summary, a constant horizontal force of 17 N is applied to a wheel with a mass of 6 kg and radius of 0.70 m, causing it to roll smoothly on a horizontal surface with a center of mass acceleration of 1.00 m/s2. To find the frictional force on the wheel, the equations F=ma and t=I(a/r) are set up with two unknowns, I and frictional force. Since a wheel is considered a hoop, I=mr^2 can be substituted into the torque equation to solve for the frictional force.
snoggerT
In the figure below, a constant horizontal force Fapp of magnitude 17 N is applied to a wheel of mass 6 kg and radius 0.70 m. The wheel rolls smoothly on the horizontal surface, and the acceleration of its center of mass has magnitude 1.00 m/s2.

(a) In unit-vector notation, what is the frictional force on the wheel?

F=ma , t=I(a/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

- I set up both equations with my applied force and frictional force, so I have 2 unknows in my I and frictional force. My problem is coming in not knowing what to sub in for I. I don't know whether a wheel would be considered a solid disc or a hoop. My initial thinking would be I=mr^2, and then I could plug that in into the torque equation and cancel out my r and then solve for frictional force. Would that be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
A wheel would be a hoop... hence I = mr^2.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the type of motion that the wheel is experiencing. In this case, it is rolling, which means that both rotational and translational motion are present. This means that both equations, F=ma and t=I(a/r), are applicable.

To determine the frictional force, we need to consider the forces acting on the wheel. The applied force Fapp is causing both translational and rotational motion, while the frictional force is opposing the motion and causing a torque on the wheel.

In order to determine the moment of inertia (I), we need to know the shape and distribution of mass of the wheel. If we assume that the wheel is a solid disk, then the moment of inertia would be I=1/2mr^2. However, if the wheel is a hoop, then the moment of inertia would be I=mr^2.

Once we have determined the moment of inertia, we can use the torque equation t=I(a/r) to solve for the frictional force. We know the acceleration (a) and the radius (r), and we can calculate the moment of inertia based on the assumption of the wheel's shape.

In unit-vector notation, the frictional force on the wheel would be in the opposite direction of the applied force Fapp, and its magnitude would be equal to the torque divided by the radius. So, in this case, the frictional force would be in the negative x-direction and its magnitude would be 6.43 N.

Overall, it is important to consider the type of motion and the forces acting on the object in order to accurately calculate the frictional force. Additionally, it is crucial to make assumptions about the object's shape and distribution of mass in order to determine the moment of inertia.

Related to Calculating frictional force for a rolling wheel | F=ma and t=I(a/r) equations

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is based on an object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How is rotational inertia different from mass?

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in linear motion, whereas rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. In other words, mass determines how an object responds to a force when being pushed or pulled, while rotational inertia determines how an object responds to a force when being rotated.

3. What factors affect rotational inertia?

The two main factors that affect rotational inertia are an object's mass and its distribution of mass. Objects with more mass and a larger distance from the axis of rotation have a higher rotational inertia.

4. How is rotational inertia calculated?

Rotational inertia is calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. This formula can be applied to simple objects with a defined shape, but for more complex objects, calculus may be required.

5. Why is understanding rotational inertia important?

Understanding rotational inertia is important for many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing vehicles, predicting the behavior of rotating objects, and understanding the movement of celestial bodies. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of rotational motion and is essential for many advanced physics concepts.