Rotational Inertia of a Rod Falling and Slipping

In summary: Since I used I=\frac{1}{12}ML^2, \theta will be the angle that the stick makes with the vertical as it is falling as measured from the center, not the angle it makes with the horizontal as measured from the floor. in this case, \theta will be maximum at the end of the...The angle at the end of the fall is when \theta is maximum.
e(ho0n3
A rod of mass M and length L, initially standing, falls in such a way that the center of mass experiences only vertical motion. What is the moment of inertia of the rod?

I picture the rod as having both translational and rotational motion since it's rotating about an axis through the CM which is moving vertically downward. I can also picture the rod as rotating about the end touching the surface, which is moving horizontally. Now, to find the moment of inertia, I need to pick a rotation axis. Which one of these axes should I pick?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter which one you pick as far as I can tell, it's simply that the moment of inertia about one axis is different from the moment of inertia about another.

e(ho0n3 said:
A rod of mass M and length L, initially standing, falls in such a way that the center of mass experiences only vertical motion. What is the moment of inertia of the rod?
The moment of inertia is a property of the rod, not of its motion. I don't understand the point of this question.

I asked this since I needed some insight on the following problem: A thin uniform stick of mass M and length L is positioned vertically, with its tip on a frictionless table. It is released and allowed to slip and fall. Determine the speed of its center of mass just before it hits the table.

There is a picture that comes with this problem which basically depicts the rod standing and just before it hits the table, and from it I've concluded that the center of mass does not displace horizontally, but vertically only.

Anywho, I can solve this problem using conservation of mechanical energy. When I set up the equation, the rotational kinetic energy term involves the moment of inertia and this of course led me to my original question.

e(ho0n3 said:
There is a picture that comes with this problem which basically depicts the rod standing and just before it hits the table, and from it I've concluded that the center of mass does not displace horizontally, but vertically only.
Since all the forces on the rod act vertically, the center of mass must fall straight down.
Anywho, I can solve this problem using conservation of mechanical energy. When I set up the equation, the rotational kinetic energy term involves the moment of inertia and this of course led me to my original question.
Right. But I assume you can calculate the rotational inertia of a rod about its cm. The trick is to relate the speed of the cm to the rotational speed of the stick.

Doc Al said:
The trick is to relate the speed of the cm to the rotational speed of the stick.
Yes of course! Hmm...Somehow [itex]\omega \propto v[/itex], but that's all I can think of. This is giving me a headache. Argh...

e(ho0n3 said:
Yes of course! Hmm...Somehow [itex]\omega \propto v[/itex], but that's all I can think of. This is giving me a headache. Argh...

well, here's how [itex]\omega \propto v[/itex], to get you started

[itex]y[/itex] will be the distance that the stick has fallen

therefore:
[tex]\cos \theta = \frac {\frac{L}{2}-y}{\frac {L}{2}}[/tex]

which gives:
[tex]\dot{y}=\frac{L}{2}\sin\theta \ \dot{\theta}[/tex]

or, in your [itex]\omega \propto v[/itex] terms:
[tex]v=\frac{L}{2}\sin\theta \ w[/tex]

then use this relation with energy considerations to solve for the motion.
btw, [itex]I=\frac{1}{12}ML^2[/itex]

if i remember correctly, this was an example in my K&K book at MIT

DarkEternal said:
well, here's how [itex]\omega \propto v[/itex], to get you started

[itex]y[/itex] will be the distance that the stick has fallen

therefore:

which gives:

or, in your [itex]\omega \propto v[/itex] terms:
[tex]v=\frac{L}{2}\sin\theta \ w[/tex]

then use this relation with energy considerations to solve for the motion.
btw, [itex]I=\frac{1}{12}ML^2[/itex]

if i remember correctly, this was an example in my K&K book at MIT
Got the answer already, but thanks anyways.

DarkEternal said:
therefore:

which gives:
Almost. It should be:
[tex]\sin \theta = \frac {\frac{L}{2}-y}{\frac {L}{2}}[/tex]
Which gives:
[tex]\dot{y}= - \frac{L}{2}\cos\theta \ \dot{\theta}[/tex]
(The minus sign is just an artifact of how the angle is defined.)

This makes sense, since when the cm hits the floor, the angle is zero and [itex]\omega[/itex] is maximum.

Doc Al said:
Almost. It should be:
[tex]\sin \theta = \frac {\frac{L}{2}-y}{\frac {L}{2}}[/tex]
Which gives:
[tex]\dot{y}= - \frac{L}{2}\cos\theta \ \dot{\theta}[/tex]
(The minus sign is just an artifact of how the angle is defined.)

This makes sense, since when the cm hits the floor, the angle is zero and [itex]\omega[/itex] is maximum.

well, that depends on how you define [itex]\theta[/itex]. Since I used [itex]I=\frac{1}{12}ML^2[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] will be the angle that the stick makes with the vertical as it is falling as measured from the center, not the angle it makes with the horizontal as measured from the floor. in this case, [itex]\theta[/itex] will be maximum at the end of the problem.

DarkEternal said:
well, that depends on how you define [itex]\theta[/itex]. Since I used [itex]I=\frac{1}{12}ML^2[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] will be the angle that the stick makes with the vertical as it is falling as measured from the center, not the angle it makes with the horizontal as measured from the floor. in this case, [itex]\theta[/itex] will be maximum at the end of the problem.
D'oh! You're perfectly correct. My bad. :uhh:

(But [itex]\omega[/itex] is the same no matter how you define [itex]\theta[/itex].)

Last edited:

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is determined by the mass and distribution of mass of an object.

2. How does rotational inertia affect a rod falling and slipping?

The rotational inertia of a rod plays a crucial role in determining how it falls and slips. A rod with a higher rotational inertia will be more resistant to changes in its rotational motion, causing it to fall and slip more slowly compared to a rod with a lower rotational inertia.

3. What factors affect the rotational inertia of a rod?

The rotational inertia of a rod is affected by its mass, length, and distribution of mass. A longer and heavier rod will have a higher rotational inertia compared to a shorter and lighter rod. The distribution of mass along the rod also plays a role, with more mass concentrated towards the ends resulting in a higher rotational inertia.

4. How can the rotational inertia of a rod be calculated?

The rotational inertia of a rod can be calculated using the formula I = 1/3 * m * L^2, where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the rod, and L is the length of the rod. This formula assumes that the mass is evenly distributed along the length of the rod.

5. How can the rotational inertia of a rod be demonstrated?

The rotational inertia of a rod can be demonstrated through experiments such as the spinning rod experiment, where a rod is balanced on a pivot point and spun horizontally. The time it takes for the rod to stop spinning can be used to calculate its rotational inertia.