Rotational Motion: Disc Movement

In summary, the conversation discusses the rotational inertia, initial angular velocity, constant angular acceleration, and magnitude of torque exerted by friction on a 750 gram grinding wheel. The wheel has a diameter of 25.0 cm and turns at a constant speed of 220 rpm (23.04 rad/s) when in use. When the power is switched off, it stops in 45.0 seconds due to friction. The rotational inertia of the wheel is 5.86*10^-2 kgm^2, the initial angular velocity is 23.04 rad/s, and the constant angular acceleration is 0.512 rad/s^2. The magnitude of the torque exerted by friction is unknown. To find the angular acceleration
kikidoll

Homework Statement

A 750 gram grinding wheel 25.0 cm in diameter is in the shape of a uniform solid disc. When it is in use it turns at a constant 220 rpm about an axis perpendicular to its face through its center. When the power is switched off the wheel stops in 45.0 s with constant angular acceleration due to friction

A) What is rotational intertia of the wheel?
B) What is the initial angular velocity in rad/s?
C) What is the constant angular acceleration in rad/s^2?
D) What is the magnitude of the torque exerted by friction in N-m?

m = 0.750 kg
r= 0.125 m
wf = 23.04 rad/s (converting 220rpm)
t= 45.0 s

Homework Equations

Part A) Idisc= 0.5(mr^2) = 0.5(0.750kg)(0.125m^2) = 5.86*10^-2 kgm^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking along these lines... I could find part C first (angular acceleration - alpha) and use that to find part B (initial angular velocity - w0) by using this equation : wf = w0 + alpha(time). I could then find part D (torque - T) by using this equation : alpha = T/I

My problem is finding angular acceleration, or alpha.

This is what I did, please let me know if it's correct or not.

v(speed)= radius*wf
v = (0.125m)(23.04 rad/s) = 2.88
vf= v0 +a(linear)(time)
2.88 = 0 +a(45seconds)
a(linear) = 0.064 m/s
a(linear) = radius*a(angular)
0.064 = 0.125*a
alpha = 0.512 rad/s^2

If it's wrong, could you please advise on how to get the right answer?
Thank you in advance :)Disclaimers: This is my first post, so please be gentle! Also, this is not homework, it is a practice test. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did I read this wrong... I assumed wf= 220rpm = 23.04 rad/s. Is the 220rpm actually w0? And if so, am I just converting it wrong?

Hello! I would like to provide a response to your content on rotational motion and disc movement.

Firstly, I would like to commend you on your attempt at finding the answers to the given questions. Your method of finding the angular acceleration, or alpha, is correct. However, there is a small calculation error in your solution. The correct value for alpha is 0.045 rad/s^2, as you have correctly calculated the linear acceleration to be 0.064 m/s^2, but you forgot to divide it by the radius.

Moving on to the questions, I would like to provide the following responses:

A) The rotational inertia of the wheel, or Idisc, can be calculated using the formula Idisc= 0.5mr^2, where m is the mass of the wheel and r is the radius. Plugging in the given values, we get Idisc= 5.86*10^-2 kgm^2.

B) The initial angular velocity, or w0, can be found using the equation wf= w0 + alpha(time). Plugging in the values, we get w0= 23.04- (0.045)(45)= 20.94 rad/s.

C) The constant angular acceleration, or alpha, can be found using the equation alpha= a(linear)/r. Plugging in the values, we get alpha= 0.064/0.125= 0.512 rad/s^2.

D) The magnitude of the torque exerted by friction, or T, can be found using the equation alpha= T/Idisc. Plugging in the values, we get T= (0.045)(5.86*10^-2)= 0.00264 N-m.

I hope this helps and clarifies any doubts you may have had. Keep up the good work!

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point, known as the axis of rotation. This type of motion is circular and can be seen in objects such as spinning tops, wheels, and planets in orbit.

2. What causes rotational motion?

The main cause of rotational motion is torque, which is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. This torque can be applied by a variety of factors, such as gravity, friction, or a physical force.

3. What is the relationship between rotational motion and angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. The relationship between rotational motion and angular velocity is that the faster an object rotates, the higher its angular velocity will be.

4. How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is measured using different units, depending on the specific aspect being measured. For example, angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while torque is measured in Newton-meters. The overall motion can also be measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or degrees per second.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion in everyday life include spinning a top, riding a bike, throwing a ball, and opening a door. Rotational motion is also seen in larger scales, such as the rotation of the Earth on its axis and the rotation of planets around the sun.