Rotational motion -- Energy stored in a flywheel

In summary, the conversation discusses a cylindrical shape pulley with given measurements and a constant torque causing it to stop. The conversation then moves on to calculating the angular velocity, finding the moment of inertia for a cylinder, and determining the energy stored in the rotating cylinder. Finally, the conversation concludes that to stop the cylinder, 1065 J of work must be done.
kaspis245

Homework Statement

Cylindrical shape pulley ( m = 6 kg, R = 0.18 m) is rotating at a frequency f = 10 s-1. Due to constant torque it stops. Calculate the work done by the breaking force.

Homework Equations

w = 2πf

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can calculate the angular velocity:
w = 2πf = 62.8 rad/s

I don't know what to do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
(I added to your thread title for you...)

How much energy is stored in that spinning flywheel? What is its moment of inertia?

I don't know, it is not given. I think I'm suppose to find some kind of ratio.

Calculate it. Look up the formula for the moment of inertia for a cylinder in your textbook or use Google or Wikipedia...

Here is moment of inertia for a cylinder:

I = 1/2 MR2 = 1/2 * 6 kg * 0.18 m = 0.54 kg/m

kaspis245 said:

Homework Statement

Cylindrical shape pulley ( m = 6 kg, R = 0.18 m) is rotating at a frequency f = 10 s-1. Due to constant torque it stops. Calculate the work done by the breaking force.

Homework Equations

w = 2πf

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can calculate the angular velocity:
w = 2πf = 62.8 rad/s

I don't know what to do now.

kaspis245 said:
I don't know, it is not given. I think I'm suppose to find some kind of ratio.

kaspis245 said:
Here is moment of inertia for a cylinder:

I = 1/2 MR2 = 1/2 * 6 kg * 0.18 m = 0.54 kg/m

And what is the energy stored in that rotating cylinder? Once you have the energy stored in the rotating cylinder, how much work would it take to slow it down and stop it?

Energy stored in a rotating cylinder:

Erotational = ½Iω2 = 1065 J

So in order to stop this cylinder one must do 1065 J work?

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, gears, and flywheels.

What is a flywheel?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy. It consists of a heavy wheel or disk that spins on an axis and has a high moment of inertia, allowing it to store large amounts of energy.

How does a flywheel store energy?

A flywheel stores energy through its rotational motion. When a force is applied to the flywheel, it begins to spin and stores kinetic energy. This energy can be released later on when the flywheel slows down or stops.

What are the applications of flywheels?

Flywheels have a variety of applications, including in engines and motors to store and release energy, in gyroscope systems for navigation and stabilization, and in power systems for energy storage and stabilization.

How is energy stored in a flywheel different from other energy storage methods?

Unlike batteries or capacitors, which store energy in chemical or electrical form, a flywheel stores energy in mechanical form. This allows for faster energy release and recharge times, making flywheels a popular choice for applications that require quick bursts of energy.