Rotational motion equations

In summary, the conversation discusses four rotational motion equations and their uses. The first equation is incorrect due to different units, while the second is similar to linear acceleration equations. The third equation resembles a displacement formula and the fourth equation uses angular acceleration and displacement. The equations can be used depending on the given variables and what is being solved for.
pb23me

Homework Statement

My lab book list these four Rotational motion equations and doesn't say what they are. Could someone please tell me what each equation is and what they are used for. thanx

Homework Equations

[tex]\theta[/tex]2-[tex]\theta[/tex]1=(w1+w2)(t2-t1)/2
w2-w1=alpha(t2-t1)
[tex]\theta[/tex]2-[tex]\theta[/tex]1=w1(t2-t1)+1/2alpha(t2-t1)2
2alpha([tex]\theta[/tex]2-[tex]\theta[/tex]1)=w22-w12

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first one isn't correct. The w1 term has different units than the other terms. The second one is analogous to good old ΔV = a*Δt, sometimes written as a = ΔV/Δt. Instead of acceleration, you have rotational acceleration. Instead of velocity, you have rotational or angular velocity.

The third one looks a lot like d = Vi*t + 1/2*a*t², doesn't it?
For the last one, the right side is analogous to Vf² - Vi². Have you seen a formula with that on one side?

ok so am i supposed to use one of these to solve my problem? I am just not sure which equation to use

hi pb23me! :smile:
pb23me said:
My lab book list these four Rotational motion equations and doesn't say what they are. Could someone please tell me what each equation is and what they are used for …

for an object moving in a circle, the usual linear equations may be used with angular acceleration velocity and displacement instead of ordinary (linear) acceleration velocity and displacement (in other words: with α ω and θ instead of a v and t) …

see the PF Library on https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" for some details :wink:

(and you use whichever of those equations contains the variables you are given or are seeking)

Last edited by a moderator:

The four equations listed are commonly known as the rotational motion equations, which are used to describe the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. Each equation relates different variables such as angular displacement (\theta), angular velocity (w), and angular acceleration (alpha) to time (t).

The first equation, \theta2-\theta1=(w1+w2)(t2-t1)/2, is called the average angular displacement equation and is used to calculate the average angular displacement of an object between two points in time.

The second equation, w2-w1=alpha(t2-t1), is known as the average angular velocity equation and is used to calculate the average angular velocity of an object between two points in time.

The third equation, \theta2-\theta1=w1(t2-t1)+1/2alpha(t2-t1)2, is called the displacement equation and is used to calculate the angular displacement of an object at a specific point in time, taking into account its initial angular velocity and acceleration.

The fourth equation, 2alpha(\theta2-\theta1)=w22-w12, is known as the average angular acceleration equation and is used to calculate the average angular acceleration of an object between two points in time.

These equations are essential for understanding and analyzing rotational motion and are commonly used in physics and engineering applications.

What are rotational motion equations?

Rotational motion equations are mathematical formulas used to describe the motion of an object that is rotating around a fixed axis. They are derived from the concepts of angular velocity, angular acceleration, and torque.

What is the difference between linear and rotational motion equations?

Linear motion equations describe the motion of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion equations describe the motion of an object around a fixed axis. Linear equations use distance and speed, while rotational equations use angle and angular velocity.

What are the basic rotational motion equations?

The basic rotational motion equations are:

• Angular velocity (ω) = Change in angle (θ) / Change in time (t)
  • Angular acceleration (α) = Change in angular velocity (ω) / Change in time (t)
  • Torque (τ) = Moment of inertia (I) x Angular acceleration (α)

How are rotational motion equations used in real life?

Rotational motion equations are used in many real-life applications, such as understanding the motion of planets and satellites in space, designing machines with rotating parts like engines and turbines, and analyzing the motion of athletes in sports like figure skating and gymnastics.

Are rotational motion equations affected by external factors?

Yes, rotational motion equations can be affected by external factors like friction, air resistance, and external forces. These factors can alter the motion of an object and must be taken into account when using rotational motion equations in real-life scenarios.