Rotational Motion: Final Translational Speed

In summary, a wheel with rotational inertia I = 1/2MR^2 is initially spinning with angular speed omega_0 and then lowered to the ground. As it touches the ground, it slips and eventually starts rolling without slipping. The final translational speed can be found by using the condition of pure rolling and the conservation of angular momentum.
hzx

Homework Statement

A wheel with rotational inertia I = 1/2MR^2 about its horizontal central axle is set spinning with initial angular speed omega_0. It is then lowered, and at the instant its edge touches the ground the speed of the axle is zero. Initially the wheel slips when it touches the ground, but then begins to move forward and eventually rolls without slipping. What is the wheel's final translational speed?

Homework Equations

torque=I*alpha=FR

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for friction force using the torque equation above, f=(1/2)(Ma)
But when I look at the force diagram, wouldn't it be just f that's causing the overall acceleration so f=Ma? I'm so confused. In addition, what other equations should I use to find the final translational speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
hzx said:

Homework Statement

A wheel with rotational inertia I = 1/2MR^2 about its horizontal central axle is set spinning with initial angular speed omega_0. It is then lowered, and at the instant its edge touches the ground the speed of the axle is zero. Initially the wheel slips when it touches the ground, but then begins to move forward and eventually rolls without slipping. What is the wheel's final translational speed?

Homework Equations

torque=I*alpha=FR

The Attempt at a Solution

But when I look at the force diagram, wouldn't it be just f that's causing the overall acceleration so f=Ma? I'm so confused. In addition, what other equations should I use to find the final translational speed?
Can you determine the horizontal acceleration while slipping? Does the axle (i.e the wheel) accelerate after slippage ends?

AM

The friction accelerates the centre of mass and decelerates rotation. Write both equations, and solve them for the velocity of the of the CoM and angular velocity. Use the condition of pure rolling - what is the relation between the angular velocity and the velocity of the CoM?

hzx said:
By the way, hzx, welcome to PF!

ehild said:
The friction accelerates the centre of mass and decelerates rotation. Write both equations, and solve them for the velocity of the of the CoM and angular velocity. Use the condition of pure rolling - what is the relation between the angular velocity and the velocity of the CoM?
You appear to be speaking about the force from kinetic friction i.e. while the wheel is slipping, not the static friction once slippage ends. The thing that makes this readily solvable is the fact that kinetic friction force is basically the same regardless of the speed or amount of slippage, so long as there is some slippage. After slipping stops, the positive acceleration will end.

AM

hzx said:
It would help if you were to show all your working, but I am guessing you used ##R\alpha=a##. That is only true for rolling contact, so not valid while slipping.
There is a sneaky way to solve this problem without worrying about torques or forces: use conservation of angular momentum. The trick is to pick the right reference axis. The answer drops straight out.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is also known as circular motion.

2. What is final translational speed in rotational motion?

Final translational speed is the linear speed at which an object moves after undergoing rotational motion. It is the speed at which the object would move if it were sliding along a straight path instead of rotating.

3. How is final translational speed calculated?

The final translational speed in rotational motion can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the final translational speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

4. What factors affect final translational speed in rotational motion?

The final translational speed in rotational motion is affected by the angular velocity, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the mass of the object. In addition, external factors such as friction and air resistance can also impact the final translational speed.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion and final translational speed?

Some examples of rotational motion and final translational speed include a spinning top, a merry-go-round, a spinning ice skater, and a rotating fan. In each of these examples, the objects undergo rotational motion and have a final translational speed as they move in a circular path.