Rotational Motion of a disc of mass

In summary, Newton's 2nd law applies to the rotational motion of the cylinder, and then Newton's 2nd law applies to the translational motion of the entire system. This allows you to find the static friction on the disc.
PhysicsNewb
I'm stuck on a miniquestion in my HW that is hindering the entire problem, so here it is.

A disc of mass M, radius R, Icm =1/2MR^2 is rolling down an incline dragging a mass M attached with a light rod to a bearing at the center of the disc. The friction coefficients are the same for both masses, us and uk.

Determine the linear acceleration of the mass M.

Well, this question seems easy, and I ended up with 2fs/M = a.
But I need to find out what fs is to simplify my answer, and I can't figure out how.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how anyone can tell you what fs IS if you don't tell us what it MEANS. I might guess, since it is "f", that it is a force and then guess that "s" means directed along the incline, but I'm still not sure whether it is the force of gravity along the incline or the retarding force due to friction.

If it is gravitational force, then it is -2Mgsin(θ) where θ is the angle the incline makes with the horizontal. (Notice the 2. Gravity pulls on both masses.)

If it is the friction force then it is μMgcos(θ) where Mgcos(θ) is the force normal to the plane due to the weight of the second mass. The disk is rolling so there is no sliding friction.

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. fs is the frictional force, except on my paper my teacher said that fs does not equal uMGcos(theta), which is the source of my problem. He says fs equals 1/2Ma, which is where I got a = 2fs/M from.

Sum of the torques = I(angular acceleration)
fsR = 1/2MR^2(a/R)
fs = 1/2Ma

Last edited:
PhysicsNewb said:
He says fs equals 1/2Ma, which is where I got a = 2fs/M from.
That comes from applying Newton's 2nd law to the rotational motion of the cylinder. ([itex]\tau = I \alpha[/itex]) Now apply Newton's 2nd law to the translational motion of the entire system.

Okay, here is the source of my confusion about this problem. First it says find the linear acceleration of mass M, then the following question asks me to find the frictional force acting on the disc. But don't I need to find the frictional force before I find the acceleration?

PhysicsNewb said:
But don't I need to find the frictional force before I find the acceleration?
No. In fact, the only way you can find the static friction on the disc is to find the acceleration, since it depends on the acceleration. Try it!

(Static friction is a "passive" force--it can adjust to be whatever it needs to be up to a maximum value.)

Related to Rotational Motion of a disc of mass

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is a type of motion in which an object rotates around an axis. It is often described in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves circular movement around an axis, while linear motion involves straight-line movement. Additionally, rotational motion is described in terms of angles, while linear motion is described in terms of distance.

3. How is the mass of a disc related to its rotational motion?

The mass of a disc affects its rotational motion in two ways. First, the mass of the disc determines its moment of inertia, which is a measure of how difficult it is to change the disc's rotational motion. Second, the distribution of mass within the disc affects its rotational inertia, with more mass located farther from the axis of rotation resulting in a larger rotational inertia.

4. What is torque and how does it relate to rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. In rotational motion, torque is responsible for causing changes in angular velocity or acceleration.

5. How does the conservation of angular momentum apply to rotational motion?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that, in rotational motion, if the angular momentum of an object changes, it must be due to an external torque acting on the object. This principle is often used to analyze and predict the behavior of rotating objects.