Calculate Rotation Period for Amusement Park Ride

In summary, The Roundup is an amusement park ride where passengers stand inside a rotating ring that tilts into a vertical plane. The question is to find the longest rotation period of the ring to prevent riders from falling off at the top. The equation used is v=2*pi*r/T and the solution involves finding the velocity using V_c=(r*g)^(.5) and then plugging it into the equation.
techtrailer89
Hi i am studying for a test and found this problem that i have no clue how to do.. I was hoping for some help with it like equation to start.
thanks

Homework Statement

In an amusement park ride called The Roundup, passengers stand inside a 14.0 m-diameter rotating ring. After the ring has acquired sufficient speed, it tilts into a vertical plane.
What is the longest rotation period of the ring such that the riders will not fall off at the top?

All i know is that the weight force much be less than normal force right? and do I use v=2*pi*r/T
I don't know where to start thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind I figured it out used V_c=(r*g)^(.5) to find v then just plug and chug

ok great then :)

FAQ: Calculate Rotation Period for Amusement Park Ride

What is the purpose of calculating the rotation period for an amusement park ride?

The rotation period of an amusement park ride is the amount of time it takes for the ride to complete one full rotation. This information is important for ride safety, as well as for determining the duration of the ride experience for guests.

How is the rotation period of an amusement park ride calculated?

The rotation period can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the ride's rotation path by the speed at which it rotates. This will give the time it takes for the ride to complete one full rotation. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by using a stopwatch to time the ride's rotation and dividing that by the total number of rotations made.

What factors can affect the rotation period of an amusement park ride?

The rotation period can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the ride, the speed at which it rotates, and any external forces such as wind or friction. The weight and distribution of passengers on the ride can also impact the rotation period.

Why is it important to regularly calculate the rotation period of an amusement park ride?

Regularly calculating the rotation period of an amusement park ride is crucial for ensuring the safety of the ride and its passengers. It also helps in identifying any potential mechanical issues or wear and tear that may affect the ride's performance.

What units are typically used to measure the rotation period of an amusement park ride?

The rotation period is usually measured in seconds or minutes, depending on the speed of the ride. For example, a fast-spinning ride may have a rotation period of a few seconds, while a slower ride may have a rotation period of a few minutes.