1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin 5.15

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], f is a twice-differentiable real function on (a, \infinty) and M_0,M_1,M_2 are the least upper bound of [itex]|f(x)|,|f'(x)|,|f''(x)|[/itex], respectively on (a,\infinity). Prove that

[tex]M_1^2\leq 4 M_0 M_2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    That is equivalent to showing that M_2 x^2 +M_1 x +M_0=0 has a real solution.

I was trying to use Taylor's Theorem which says that if \alpha and \beta are distinct points in (a,\infinity) then there exists x between \alpha and \beta that makes the following equation true:

[tex]f(\beta) = f(\alpha) + f'(\alpha)(\beta-\alpha) + f''(x) (\beta-\alpha)^2/2[/tex]

I could take the absolute value of both sides and then use triangle inequality but I did not see how to get anywhere with that.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2
    Did you look at the hint given in rudin?
  4. Apr 30, 2008 #3
    How was I supposed to know there was a hint on the next page? That is a serious question.
  5. Apr 30, 2008 #4
    OK. The hint says:

If h>0, Taylor's theorem show that

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{1}{2h}[f(x+2h)-f(x)]-hf''(\xi)[/tex]

for some [itex]\xi \in (x,x+2h)[/itex]. Hence

[tex]|f'(x)| \leq hM_2+M_0/h[/tex]

I don't see how the last inequality is useful (even if you square it).
  6. Apr 30, 2008 #5
    Square it and remember that it holds for ANY h > 0. There is a particular choice of h that will yield the result.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?