Proof: Positive Real Numbers as Vector Space with Modified Operations

In summary, the homework statement is asking you to show that the set of all positive real numbers, with x+y and cx redefined to equal the usual xy and xc, is a vector space. The attempt at a solution stops at me trying to decipher the problem. Are they asking me to take particular vector space rules and change them and show that, given the change in the rules, the set of all real positive numbers is a vector space? I'm also confused as to what they mean by xy and xc, in that x and y are both vectors and I'm not sure what kind of multiplication they want me to do.
MurdocJensen

Homework Statement

Show that the set of all positive real numbers, with x+y and cx redefined to equal the usual xy and xc, is a vector space. What is the zero vector?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt stops at me trying to decipher the problem. Are they asking me to take particular vector space rules and change them and show that, given the change in the rules, the set of all real positive numbers is a vector space?

I'm also confused as to what they mean by xy and xc, in that x and y are both vectors and I'm not sure what kind of multiplication they want me to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
MurdocJensen said:

Homework Statement

Show that the set of all positive real numbers, with x+y and cx redefined to equal the usual xy and xc, is a vector space. What is the zero vector?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt stops at me trying to decipher the problem. Are they asking me to take particular vector space rules and change them
No, you have the same axioms (10 of them I believe).
MurdocJensen said:
and show that, given the change in the rules, the set of all real positive numbers is a vector space?
A vector space is not just a set of things (positive reals in this case); it is a set, together with two operations, + and *, that satisfy the standard vector space axioms.
MurdocJensen said:
I'm also confused as to what they mean by xy and xc, in that x and y are both vectors and I'm not sure what kind of multiplication they want me to do.
x and y are positive real numbers.
To minimize confusion, I'll use [itex]\oplus[/itex] to represent addition and [itex]\odot[/itex] to represent multiplication in this vector space.

For example, [itex]2 \oplus 5[/itex] = [itex]2 \cdot 5[/itex] = 10, and [itex]2 \odot 3[/itex] = [itex]2^3[/itex] = 8

A vector space is always a space over some scalar field. x+ y is defined for x and y vectors, ax is defined for a a scalar and x a vector. In this particular case, both scalars and vectors are numbers but you will still need to distinguish between them. For example, one of the axioms for vector spaces is that scalar multiplication "distributes" over addtion: a(x+ y)= ax+ ay. Here, x, y, and a are all numbers and "a(x+ y)" is [itex](xy)^a[/itex] while "ax+ ay" is [itex](x^a)(y^a)[/itex]. Are those the same?

Mark44: Yes they are the same, but I went about that part differently. I got (xy)a = xa + ya, but I guess we can simplify to your version because these are just 'numbers' being raised to a power, which means xxxx + yyyy is the same as xxxxyyyy or x4y4, which is just (xy)4. 4 is replacing c in this particular case.

This is the first time in my life I am writing as mathematically as this. I suck at it so far.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by scalars (numbers). The vectors in a vector space are typically represented as n-tuples, with n being the number of dimensions in the space. Vector spaces have certain properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, that make them useful in many areas of mathematics and science.

2. What are the rules for vector addition?

Vector addition follows the commutative and associative properties, meaning that the order in which vectors are added does not matter and grouping of vectors does not affect the result. Additionally, the sum of any vector and the additive identity (a vector with all components equal to zero) will result in the original vector. These rules ensure that vector addition is consistent and predictable.

3. How does scalar multiplication work in vector spaces?

Scalar multiplication is when a vector is multiplied by a scalar (a number). This results in a new vector with each component of the original vector multiplied by the scalar. The scalar can change the magnitude and direction of the vector, making it a powerful tool in vector operations.

4. What is the significance of zero vectors in vector spaces?

A zero vector is a vector with all components equal to zero. In vector spaces, the zero vector serves as the additive identity, meaning that when added to any vector, it results in the original vector. Zero vectors also have the property of scalar multiplication, meaning that when multiplied by any scalar, the result will still be a zero vector. This makes zero vectors an important part of vector space operations.

5. Can any set of vectors form a vector space?

No, not every set of vectors can form a vector space. In order for a set of vectors to form a vector space, it must satisfy certain properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and the existence of an additive and multiplicative identity. If a set of vectors does not have these properties, it cannot be considered a vector space.