Can You Prove Simple Harmonic Motion for a Mass Spring System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a mass suspended from a fixed point by a helical spring undergoes simple harmonic motion when displaced vertically from its equilibrium position. The conversation includes a question about using kinetic energy to prove it, but the book's solution involves setting up a differential equation and showing that the solution is harmonic. Additionally, the conversation touches on the confusion caused by a vague answer in the book and the concept of tension in the spring even in equilibrium. Eventually, the problem is solved by realizing a different perspective.
repugno
I've been trying this question for quite some time and have given up.

Prove that a mass,M , suspended from a fixed point by a helical spring, which obeys hooke's law, undergoes simple harmonic motion when it is displaced vertically from its equilibrium position.

Say I displace the mass spring upwards, e metres. Then I can say:

Mg + ke = Ma ?

When the mass is at far bottom then

kx - Mg = -Ma ?

When I equate these two I get kx=-ke, which proves nothing. :yuck:

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you have to use? You certainly can't do it by looking at kinetic energy not at a few positions. I would do it by setting up the differential equation governing the motion and showing that the solution is harmonic.

The book gives the answer very vaguely which confuses me more. It does not have any calculus involved..

k(e + x) - Mg = -Ma

I have no Idea how they've derived this

Then they say 'in the equilibrium position, the pull of the spring ke is equal to the weight'

ke = Mg

But when the mass is at the equilibrium position the force on the mass by the spring is 0

Subsittuting above..

Mg + kx - Mg = -Ma
kx=-Ma

a=-(k/M)x

Compare with a=-(omega)^2x

Doing some math it also shows that T = 2(pi)(M/k)^(1/2)

Thanks for your help

repugno said:
Then they say 'in the equilibrium position, the pull of the spring ke is equal to the weight'

ke = Mg

But when the mass is at the equilibrium position the force on the mass by the spring is 0

The spring still has a tension, even in equilibrium. It's the sum of the forces on the mass that is 0, which is the same as that first statement.

Nylex said:
The spring still has a tension, even in equilibrium. It's the sum of the forces on the mass that is 0, which is the same as that first statement.

Thanks, it's just occurred to me that I've been looking at the situation the wrong way. :zzz: . problem solved

1. What is S.H.M in a mass spring system?

S.H.M stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is the type of motion exhibited by a mass attached to a spring when it is displaced from its equilibrium position and released.

2. What is the equation for S.H.M in a mass spring system?

The equation for S.H.M is x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the mass, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the initial phase angle.

3. What factors affect the period of S.H.M in a mass spring system?

The period of S.H.M is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How can the energy of a mass spring system be calculated?

The total energy of a mass spring system is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. The kinetic energy is given by KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. The potential energy is given by PE = (1/2)kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

5. Can a mass spring system exhibit non-harmonic motion?

Yes, a mass spring system can exhibit non-harmonic motion if the restoring force is not directly proportional to the displacement. This can occur if the spring is not ideal, or if there are external forces acting on the system.