Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: S.H.M for mass spring system

1. Jun 12, 2005 #1
    I've been trying this question for quite some time and have given up.

Prove that a mass,M , suspended from a fixed point by a helical spring, which obeys hooke's law, undergoes simple harmonic motion when it is displaced vertically from its equilibrium position.

Say I displace the mass spring upwards, e metres. Then I can say:

Mg + ke = Ma ?

When the mass is at far bottom then

kx - Mg = -Ma ?

When I equate these two I get kx=-ke, which proves nothing. :yuck:

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

What do you have to use? You certainly can't do it by looking at kinetic energy not at a few positions. I would do it by setting up the differential equation governing the motion and showing that the solution is harmonic.

4. Jun 12, 2005 #3
    The book gives the answer very vaguely which confuses me more. It does not have any calculus involved..

k(e + x) - Mg = -Ma

I have no Idea how they've derived this

Then they say 'in the equilibrium position, the pull of the spring ke is equal to the weight'

ke = Mg

But when the mass is at the equilibrium position the force on the mass by the spring is 0

Subsittuting above..

Mg + kx - Mg = -Ma
    kx=-Ma

a=-(k/M)x

Compare with a=-(omega)^2x

Doing some math it also shows that T = 2(pi)(M/k)^(1/2)

Thanks for your help

5. Jun 12, 2005 #4
    The spring still has a tension, even in equilibrium. It's the sum of the forces on the mass that is 0, which is the same as that first statement.

6. Jun 12, 2005 #5
    Thanks, it's just occured to me that I've been looking at the situation the wrong way. :zzz: . problem solved

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook