Same temperature, but different volume?

In summary, the problem presented is about a sealed jar containing two gases - hydrogen and oxygen - separated by a piston that is both a conductor and a divider. The top of the jar holds 1.5 mol of hydrogen gas, while the bottom holds 1 mol of oxygen gas. At a temperature of 320K and 1 atm, the volume of hydrogen gas is 4 times that of oxygen. The question is asking for the temperature at which the volume of hydrogen gas will be 3 times that of oxygen. The confusion lies in the fact that the two gases are not mixing and the piston is not a traditional insulator or conductor. The solution may involve using the ideal gas law or the law of partial pressures, but the exact
dawn_pingpong
Hi, I went for a test today, and one of the problem was as follows:(can't remember the exact wording though)

There is a sealed jar that is an insulator. It is divided in the middle with a piston that does not allow the 2 gases to mix, and is also a conductor. The piston has no mass and can move freely. The top of the jar contains 1.5mol of hydrogen gas, while the bottom contains 1 mol of oxygen gas.

It is known that at 320K 1ATM, The volume occupied by the hydrogen gas is 4 times the volume occupied by oxygen. At what temperature will the hydrogen gas occupy 3 times the volume of oxygen?

What I don't understand is how hydrogen can occupy so much more space compared to oxygen? Don't gases of the same mol occupy the same amount? Eg, 1mol of gas at rtp is 24 dm3, then 1mol at stp is 22.4dm3, so the H2 will occupy 1.5 times that of oxygen?

I'm thing along the lines of PV=nRT, which don't really make sense to me. Or is it some other stuff, like graham's law or something?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The rule follows in STP ( standard temp and pressure ) , in the jar STP type environment doesn't exist .Thats why the occupy different volumes .

ok, in that sense, how to approach the problem then?

I guess use law of partial pressures .

I thought the law of partial pressure is only usable for a mixture of gas, not in this instance, where the 2 gases are separate?

The problem makes sense if the piston is not a conductor, but an insulator, and the temperature of hydrogen changes, but that of oxygen is constant. Then, indeed, it can be seen from the ideal gas law that the volume ratio will depend on the temperature of hydrogen.

If, however, you insist that the piston is a conductor, than both gases will have the same temperature and the same pressure, in which case the ratio of the volumes will be fixed.

voko said:
The problem makes sense if the piston is not a conductor, but an insulator, and the temperature of hydrogen changes, but that of oxygen is constant. Then, indeed, it can be seen from the ideal gas law that the volume ratio will depend on the temperature of hydrogen.

If, however, you insist that the piston is a conductor, than both gases will have the same temperature and the same pressure, in which case the ratio of the volumes will be fixed.

Yes, the piston is a conductor, so the temperature of both gases rises at the same time. I think it has something to do with the volume of the container being constant, while the temperature increases, leading to uneven pressure increase between the 2 gases?

Whats the problem?
The temperature will be at equilibrium at both the partitions .
It could be higher or lower than before.
What we want to focus her is that which one of the gases increase or decrease pressure more than the other .

The piston moving freely means that the pressure is equal in both compartments. With temperature also equal, we get the ratio of volumes the same regardless of the temperature.

The two kind of gases are separated, it is not a mixture.
The piston moves freely, so the pressure is equal on both sides in equilibrium. The piston conducts heat, so the temperature is the same at both sides.
The gases can not penetrate through the piston. So for the two chambers, pV1=n1RT, pV2=n2RT, so the ratio V1/V2=n1/n2. It does not change, as Voko pointed out.
I think the OP did not remember the problem text correctly.

ehild

My bad

Okay, thanks! I looked at the question and thought that it was weird too. The question should be correct I guess, cos I read it at least 5 times or so. Will just see how it goes then:/

Sorry, just asked my friend, and she said that. The piston is massive. So it is pressing down on the oxygen gas. Sorry.

So the pressures are not equal, the pressure of oxygen (PO) and the pressure of hydrogen (PH) are related according to PO=PH+K, K is the constant pressure exerted by the massive piston.

One more question: The 1 atm pressure is given for which gas? As the cylinder is sealed, the external (atmospheric) pressure does not count.

ehild

I think it is implied by the question that the orginal pressure of both segments (ie whole system) are 1 atm, though i might be wrong.

dawn_pingpong said:
I think it is implied by the question that the orginal pressure of both segments (ie whole system) are 1 atm, though i might be wrong.

If the pressure and temperature are the same for both gases the volume ratio has to be equal to the ratio of the moles. Maybe, the pressure in the upper compartment was 1 atm before it was sealed.

ehild

1. What is the relationship between temperature and volume?

The relationship between temperature and volume is known as Charles' Law, which states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume will also increase proportionally.

2. How does the volume of a gas change when the temperature remains the same?

If the temperature of a gas remains constant, the volume of the gas will also remain constant. This is because, according to Charles' Law, temperature and volume are directly proportional and if one remains constant, the other will as well.

3. Why do different gases have different volumes at the same temperature?

The volume of a gas at a given temperature is determined by its molecular structure and the intermolecular forces between its molecules. Different gases have different molecular structures and therefore, will take up different volumes at the same temperature.

4. Can two gases have the same volume at the same temperature?

Yes, it is possible for two gases to have the same volume at the same temperature. This can occur if the gases have the same molecular structure and intermolecular forces, making them behave similarly under the same conditions.

5. How does changing the temperature of a gas affect its volume?

As mentioned previously, according to Charles' Law, increasing the temperature of a gas will also increase its volume proportionally. Similarly, decreasing the temperature will decrease the volume of the gas. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules of the gas have more kinetic energy, causing them to move further apart and take up more space.