1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sampling with aliasing

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let the signal [itex]x(t) = \left(\displaystyle\frac{\sin(50\pi t)}{\pi t}\right)^2[/itex], which we want to sample with sampling frequency [itex]\omega_s = 150\pi[/itex] in order to obtain a signal, [itex]g(t)[/itex] whose Fourier transform is [itex]G(\omega)[/itex]. Determine the maximun value for [itex]\omega_0[/itex] which guarantees that [itex]G(\omega) = 75X(\omega)[/itex] for [itex]\left|\omega\right| \leq{\omega_0}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Sampling Nyquist theoreme: [itex]\omega_s > 2B[/itex], where [itex]B[/itex] is the signal band-with.

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]X(\omega) = FT\{x(t)\}[/itex] is a triangular signal with [itex]B = 100\pi[/itex] and amplitude [itex]X(0) = 25[/itex].

From sampling Nyquist theoreme, [itex]150\pi > 200\pi[/itex] is false, so there is aliasing.

I don't know how to finish the problem.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no aliasing. You should not define signal bandwidth to include both positive and negative frequencies if you plan to use a relation with 2B. (That is, 2B assumes that B was defined as one-sided, whereupon the factor of 2 accounts for the negative frequency portion.) With this definition, you should write
    [tex]B=50\pi[/tex] and 2B<ws, so you are sampled properly.

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    I've defined bandwith to include only positive frequencies, so my problem must be an error in Fourier transform.

I think [itex]X(\omega) = FT\{x(t)\}[/itex] is a triangular signal whose bandwith is [itex]B = 100\pi[/itex] and [itex]X(0) = 25[/itex]

Is this wrong?

Thank you.

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm. Now that I work it out, I also get B=100pi but X(0)=50 (although the value of X(0) is not needed to solve the problem). Aliasing changes the shape of G so that the spectrum becomes horizontal between w=50pi and 75pi. You can compare the shape of G to that of X; I don't see that G exceeds X by 75, however.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. Aug 23, 2011 #5
    You're right: B=100pi and X(0)=50.

Intuitively I understand that a horizontal line appears in the spectrum, but how can you know that this occurs between w=50pi and 75pi?

Regarding the problem question (which I've checked that it is correctly copied), I know [itex]G(\omega) = \displaystyle\frac{1}{T_s}\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}X(\omega-k\omega_s)[/itex]. As [itex]\omega_s = 150\pi[/itex], then [itex]T_s = 2\pi/150\pi = 1/75[/itex], this expression can be written as [itex]G(\omega) = 75\displaystyle\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}X(\omega-k\omega_s)[/itex], where 75 appears, but I don't know how to continue.

Thank you.

7. Aug 24, 2011 #6

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can do it graphically. I'll discuss only the positive frequencies, but everything to follow is mirrored for w<0. The spectrum X is a triangle X(0)=50 and X(100*pi)=0, and G is X replicated at every integer multiple of ws. The first folding frequency is 75*pi, so fold the bit of triangle from 75 to 100 pi back and add it to X to give G. The flat part of G extends from 50 to 75 pi.

Excellent, you've shown that G=75X in the absence of aliasing. Aliasing raises the value of G between 50 and 75 pi, so 50pi is the maximum frequency where G=75X.

8. Aug 25, 2011 #7
    Thank you.

I've just understood this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook