1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sard theorem in dimension one.

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    Hi, I need some hints for the proof of the sard theorem in 1 dimension:

Prove that the set of critical values (f(x) where f'(x)=0) of continuously differentiable f:[a,b]->R has measure 0.

My attempt:

Fix [tex]\varepsilon[/tex], Let Crit(f) be the set of critical points of f. We want to show that f(Crit(f)) has measure 0.
    Let [tex]C_k[/tex] be the set of all [tex]x[/tex] in Crit(f) such that [tex]|x-y|<\frac{1}{k} \implies |fx-fy|<\varepsilon|x-y|[/tex].

Clearly [tex]\bigcup_{k\in\mathbb{N}} C_k \supset \mathrm{Crit}(f) [/tex], so it suffices to show that [tex]f\left(\bigcup_{k\in\mathbb{N}} C_k \right) [/tex] has measure 0.

For any [tex]C_k[/tex], evenly split [tex][a,b][/tex] into intervals [tex]I_1,\dots,I_n[/tex] such that [tex]\frac{b-a}{n}<\frac{1}{k}[/tex].

For each [tex]I_i[/tex], if there is a point of [tex]C_k[/tex] in it, say [tex]x[/tex], then

[tex]|fx-fy|<\varepsilon|x-y|[/tex] for all y in [tex]I_i[/tex].

Thus if [tex]I_i[/tex] contains a point of [tex]C_k[/tex], then [tex]f(I_i)[/tex] is contained in a open interval of at most [tex]2w \varepsilon[/tex] where w is the width of the interval.

Thus [tex]f(C_k)[/tex] is contained in an open set of length at most [tex]2w\varepsilon n =2(b-a) \varepsilon=K\varepsilon[/tex].

Since each [tex]f(C_k)[/tex] has measure bounded above by [tex]K \varepsilon[/tex], and [tex]C_{k}\subset C_{k+1}[/tex] for all k, then

[tex]\bigcup_{k\in\mathbb{N}} f(C_k) = f\left(\bigcup_{k\in\mathbb{N}} C_k \right) [/tex] is also bounded above by [tex]K\varepsilon[/tex]. Since [tex]\varepsilon[/tex] was arbitrary we are done.

I am not completely convinced because I did not use the hypothesis that the derivative is continuous. Did I make a mistake? Is there a simpler way do this?
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm really having a hard time following that. It's not even clear to me that you even used that f is differentiable. Why don't you define C(epsilon) to be the set of all x such that f'(x)<epsilon. Then Crit(f) is contained in C(epsilon). Can you show the measure of f(C(epsilon)) is less than or equal to epsilon*measure(C(epsilon))?
  4. Dec 29, 2009 #3
    [tex](-\epsilon,\epsilon)[/tex] is open and f'(x) is continuous so [tex]C_\epsilon[/tex] is open too. An open set is a (at most) countable union of disjoint open intervals:

[tex]C_\epsilon=\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} I_i [/tex]

For every [tex]I_i[/tex], if x and y are 2 points in [tex]I_i[/tex],

[tex]|fx-fy|<\epsilon|x-y|< \epsilon\mu(I_i) [/tex], due to MVT. So [tex]\mu(f(I_i))<\epsilon\mu(I_i)[/tex]

Taking the union over i yields measure(f(Cε)) <ε*measure(Cε)<=ε(b-a) and we are done.

Thanks for your help :)
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. Dec 29, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that I understand. And it even looks right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook