Satellite, magnitude/acceleration problem

• Thread starter tennisman03110
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, a satellite is an object that orbits around a larger body and can be natural or artificial. The magnitude of a satellite is determined by its brightness, measured on a logarithmic scale. The acceleration problem refers to the difficulty in maintaining a constant speed and direction, influenced by external forces. Factors such as mass, speed, and external forces affect the acceleration of a satellite. To address this problem, satellite designers carefully consider orbital parameters and use propulsion and aerodynamic designs to maintain stability.
tennisman03110
Satellites are placed in a circular orbit that is 3.59*10^7 m above surface of earth. What is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity at this distance? A formula to use or the work would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show how you started, please.

I tried using F=G(m1*m2)/r^2. i didnt know the mass of the satellitle though so i was left with multple variables. I also tried using g, but that didnt work. I guess I really don't know how to start when the satellite has an unknown weight.

Related to Satellite, magnitude/acceleration problem

What is a satellite?

A satellite is an object that orbits around a larger body, such as a planet or a star. It can be natural, such as a moon, or artificial, man-made by humans.

How is the magnitude of a satellite determined?

The magnitude of a satellite is determined by the brightness of the object as seen from Earth. It is measured on a logarithmic scale, with lower numbers indicating brighter objects.

What is the acceleration problem related to satellites?

The acceleration problem refers to the difficulty in maintaining a constant speed and direction of a satellite in orbit. This is due to the influence of external forces, such as gravity and atmospheric drag, which can cause deviations in the satellite's path.

What factors affect the acceleration of a satellite?

The acceleration of a satellite is affected by several factors, including the mass and speed of the satellite, the strength of the gravitational pull from the larger body it is orbiting, and any external forces acting on the satellite, such as atmospheric drag.

How is the acceleration problem addressed in satellite design?

The acceleration problem is addressed in satellite design by carefully considering the orbital parameters and designing the satellite to withstand external forces. This may include using propulsion systems to maintain a constant speed and direction, as well as aerodynamic designs to minimize the effects of atmospheric drag.