Solve Satellite Velocity Homework: Find Moon's Velocity

In summary: Yes, I understand why I used those equations. I needed to use them in order to solve for the velocity of the moon.
physicaled

Homework Statement

On the surface of a distant planet, objects experience an acceleration due to gravity of 20 m/s2. The distance from the center of the planet to its surface is 8.0 * 106 m. Find the velocity of a moon that is circular orbit about the planet at a height of 300,000 m above the planet's surface.

Homework Equations

a = v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
20 = v2/(8e6 + 300,000) = 12,884.1

I know this isn't right because my teacher said the acceleration due to gravity should not be 20. But I don't know how to solve it another way. Could anyone shed some insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration is caused by the gravity of the planet. Can you write the equation for gravitational acceleration at the specified height?

Bandersnatch said:
The acceleration is caused by the gravity of the planet. Can you write the equation for gravitational acceleration at the specified height?

The only formula I can think to use would be a = v2/r which would leave me with a = v2/ (8e6 + 300,000) and then I'm still completely lost

What equations were introduced when you talked about gravity in class? Look in your notes, or use the internet. Here's a hint: it's all Newton's idea.

I suppose you mean the F = GMm/r2 equation? My teacher doesn't really teach so it's mostly us students trying to guess at things. So it would become:
GM/r = v2 leaving me with (6.67e-11)(M)/(8e6+300,000) = v2?

I'm sorry thank you for your patience

Actually could you solve it so that:

a= v2/r
20= v2/8e6
v2= 160,000,000
v= 12,649.1 m/s

GM/r= v2
(6.67e-11)(M)/8e6 = 12649.12
6.67e-11M= 1.28e15
M = 1.92e25

GM/r = v2
(6.67e-11)(1.92e25)/(8e6+300,000)= v2
154293975.9 = v2
12421.5 m/s = v

Was this what you were getting at? I was staring at it a little more and the idea came to mind but I'm not really sure if it works out.

physicaled said:
I'm not really sure if it works out.
That's pretty much what I had in mind, yes. :)
Looks about right. I'll go over the numbers later, though, I have to go now. But should be fine.

Bandersnatch said:
That's pretty much what I had in mind, yes. :)
Looks about right. I'll go over the numbers later, though, I have to go now. But should be fine.
No worries! Thank you so much for your help!

Yup, numbers look good too.
Myself, I'd probably write ##ma=\frac{GMm}{R^2}##, get the mass of the planet from there, and then plug it into ##V=\sqrt{\frac{GM}{R+r}}##. Saves you an equation, and is more straightforward reasoning-wise.

Do you understand why you used those equations?

1. How do you calculate the moon's velocity?

The moon's velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance it travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be done using the formula v=d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

2. What is the unit of measurement for satellite velocity?

The unit of measurement for satellite velocity is meters per second (m/s).

3. How does the moon's velocity affect its orbit around the Earth?

The moon's velocity affects its orbit around the Earth because it determines the distance it travels in a specific amount of time. If the moon's velocity were to change, it would either speed up or slow down its orbit around the Earth.

4. Can the moon's velocity change?

Yes, the moon's velocity can change. This can be due to various factors such as gravitational pull from other celestial bodies or changes in its own orbit.

5. What is the significance of calculating satellite velocity?

Calculating satellite velocity is important for understanding the motion and behavior of objects in space. It is also crucial for predicting and planning satellite missions and ensuring the safe operation of satellites in orbit.