1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Saw this at work -- an air bubble trapped right under the water stream

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1
    Not really sure what's happening here, did a short search online to see if anyone else has documented this before.

(If it's not clear from the photo, there seems to be a air bubble trapped right under the stream)

It sustained itself for a couple minutes, took a short video of it too before it collapsed can't seem to recreate it by adjusting water flow.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't find that the least bit surprizing. I can't give you a physics explanation but it is not particularly rare.

4. Feb 16, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

likewise have seen it often ... kitchen tap etc

Tho, like phinds, I am not sure of the process, it reminds me of the venturi effect (?) you see with a balloon over a nozzle that air is coming out of

5. Feb 16, 2017 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Surface tension.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted