Saw this at work -- an air bubble trapped right under the water stream

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Shasokias
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Not really sure what's happening here, did a short search online to see if anyone else has documented this before.

(If it's not clear from the photo, there seems to be a air bubble trapped right under the stream)

It sustained itself for a couple minutes, took a short video of it too before it collapsed can't seem to recreate it by adjusting water flow.
 

Attachments

  • 20170216_150948.jpg
    20170216_150948.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 652
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't find that the least bit surprizing. I can't give you a physics explanation but it is not particularly rare.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Shasokias said:
It sustained itself for a couple minutes, took a short video of it too before it collapsed can't seem to recreate it by adjusting water flow.

phinds said:
I don't find that the least bit surprizing. I can't give you a physics explanation but it is not particularly rare.

likewise have seen it often ... kitchen tap etc

Tho, like phinds, I am not sure of the process, it reminds me of the venturi effect (?) you see with a balloon over a nozzle that air is coming out of