Scalar potential and line integral of a vector field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
alecst
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



nSlbe.png


Homework Equations



Given above.

The Attempt at a Solution



I attempted this problem first without looking at the hint.

I've defined F(r) as (B+A)/2 + t(B-A)/2, with dr as (B-A)/2 dt . Thus F(r)dr = ((B+A)/2)*((B-A)/2)+((B-A)/2)^2 dt

When I integrate this from -1 to 1 I get 1/2*(B^2-A^2).

When I then looked at the hint, I saw it mentioned another (B^2+A^2)/2 term and another "c," neither of which I have, and my integrand has no "tau" squared element either. Is there a point where I went wrong here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that you don't get to define F(r) but instead have to use the one given to you in problem 4.01, whatever that is.
 
The idea is to used the derived formula to solve the next problem, which is find a scalar potential function phi(r) such that the line integral F(B,A) (as in 4.02) = phi(B)-phi(A). So it's clear I need to solve this in terms of B and A.