Calculating Time from Acceleration and Length - Karl's Schoolbook Question

• Thread starter kalle437
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about a Swedish student asking for help with a question in their book. The question is whether it is possible to calculate time using only acceleration and length. The student is trying to find the velocity of a car before it starts to break, but is having trouble because they only know the acceleration and length. The conversation then discusses different kinematic equations and how to use them to find the time and velocity. In the end, the student is able to solve the problem with the help of the expert.
kalle437
Hello there!
I am a swedish student (16 years old) and I would need help with a part of a question in my book. I have a test tomorrow, and it would be nice if I could get some help with this. The thing I need to know is, is it possible to calculate time by only knowing acceleration and lenght?

The question was about a car breaking. I know the acceleration is -7,856 m/s^2, and the length is 22m.

I've been trying a lot but havn't found a way to calculate time with this information. The question wanted to know the velocity before the car started to break, but i figured I need time before I can calculate the velocity.

Ask if it was something you didn't understand, and thanks in advance for all the help! :)

Karl

Physics news on Phys.org
You could find the time first, but you don't have to. It depends on what kinematic equations you have at your disposal. (You can find a list here: Basic Equations of 1-D Kinematics )

What's the most basic relationship between speed, acceleration, and time?

Hint: Try to solve it symbolically before plugging in any values.

Doc Al said:
You could find the time first, but you don't have to. It depends on what kinematic equations you have at your disposal. (You can find a list here: Basic Equations of 1-D Kinematics )

What's the most basic relationship between speed, acceleration, and time?

Hint: Try to solve it symbolically before plugging in any values.

Forgot to mention my english ain't the best, so have understanding if I would misunderstand anything :)

The most basic relationship must be;

a = deltav / deltat

but, i don't know the starting velocity, only the ending velocity, which means I can't calculate time through this formula with this info, or can I?

That's a good start. No, you can't calculate the time directly, but you can express the time in terms of other variables. Since the final speed is zero, we can write: a = v/t or t = v/a. (Where v is the initial velocity, which is what we really want to find.)

How can you combine that with the distance that you're given? What's the most basic relationship between distance, time, and velocity?

Doc Al said:
That's a good start. No, you can't calculate the time directly, but you can express the time in terms of other variables. Since the final speed is zero, we can write: a = v/t or t = v/a. (Where v is the initial velocity, which is what we really want to find.)

How can you combine that with the distance that you're given? What's the most basic relationship between distance, time, and velocity?

v=s/t

maybe we could replace v with s/t in the quation

t = v/a
t = (s/t)/a
ta = s/t
t^2*a = s
t^2 = s / a

t^2 = 22 / 7,865 ( the acceleration is negative, but since you can't "root" any negative numbers i put it as a positive number, is this right or wrong? )
t^2 = 2,78
t = 1,67s

kalle437 said:
v=s/t
Almost. But the speed is not constant, so you need the average velocity = s/t. How can you write the average velocity in terms of the initial and final velocities?

Doc Al said:
Almost. But the speed is not constant, so you need the average velocity = s/t. How can you write the average velocity in terms of the initial and final velocities?

That would be ( Vzero + V ) / 2 :

Vzero = initial velocity
V = the final velocity

t = v/a
t = ( ( Vzero + V ) / 2 ) / a
ta = ( Vzero + V ) / 2
2ta = Vzero + V
Vzero = 2ta - V

BUT, this is 2 unknown variables ( Vzero and t ), which makes the equation uncalculable (as far as I know). Maybe its possible to replace t with something else that we do know, but the two equations that has been into discussion both include v.

kalle437 said:
That would be ( Vzero + V ) / 2 :

Vzero = initial velocity
V = the final velocity
Good. But I thought the final speed was zero and the initial speed is V. In any case, you can now write:
v/2 = s/t

Combine this with:

t = v/a
Eliminate t, since you don't really need it.

maybe we could replace the Vzero with something instead.

V = Vzero + at
-Vzero = -V + at
Vzero = V - at

Vzero = 2ta - V
V - at = 2ta - V
V = 3at - V
2V = 3at

Since V = 0 the equation would be

0 = 3at
0 = 3 * 7,856 * t
0 = 23,56t

Didn't work. :/

EDIT : Was written before your post. Will check into it now.

Doc Al said:
v/2 = s/t

You must mean Vzero + V = s / t ?
if we replace the t with v/a we get a deltav, and the delta v should be the negative of Vzero.

Because out of that I got:

( Vzero + V ) / 2 = s / ( -Vzero / a )
Vzero + V = 2s / (v / a )
-Vzero/a ( Vzero + V ) = 2s
-Vzero (Vzero+V) = 2as
-Vzero^2 - Vzero * V = 2as

Since V equals zero, we can delete that term (is it called term in english ?).

-Vzero^2 = 2as
-Vzero^2 = 345,7
-Vzero = 18,6 m/s
Vzero = -18,6 m/s

The answer is right, only thing is its negative. Maybe I put a negative number somewhere in the equation when I shouldn't have.

kalle437 said:
-Vzero^2 = 2as
-Vzero^2 = 345,7
-Vzero = 18,6 m/s
Vzero = -18,6 m/s

The answer is right, only thing is its negative. Maybe I put a negative number somewhere in the equation when I shouldn't have.

How is this number +ve when car is decelerating??:smile:

malty said:
How is this number +ve when car is deccelerating??

Thanks a lot Doc Al for helping me through this, it means a lot :)

1. How do you calculate time from acceleration and length?

To calculate time from acceleration and length, you can use the formula: time = (2 * length) / acceleration. This formula is derived from the equation d = ½at², where d is the distance or length, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. What is the unit of measurement for time in this calculation?

The unit of measurement for time in this calculation is usually seconds (s). However, it can vary depending on the unit of measurement used for length and acceleration.

3. Can this formula be used for any type of acceleration?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of acceleration, including constant acceleration, uniform acceleration, and instantaneous acceleration. However, it is important to make sure that the unit of acceleration is consistent with the unit of measurement used for length.

4. Is this formula accurate for all situations?

This formula is accurate for situations where the acceleration is constant. If the acceleration is not constant, the formula may only provide an estimate of the time.

5. Can this formula be used for calculating time in physics problems?

Yes, this formula can be used in physics problems that involve calculating time from acceleration and length. It is a fundamental formula used in kinematics, which is the study of motion and its causes.