Schrodinger Equation Explained - Get the Answer Now

In summary, Schrödinger came up with the equation in the first place and it was later derived more rigorously from more basic postulates.
Mech-Master
Hey guys,

I am trying to understand where did this equation exactly come from. I know it is very complex, but anyone can explain it to me in the best way possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
Do you mean, how did Schrödinger come up with the equation in the first place?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=418069#post418069

Yes please. I think most people who are trying to learn QM want to ask that question. In most Physics textbooks, it's just mentioned that it can't be proved. But are there any plausible explanations as to how the guy came up wit that equation?

Well, of course it can't be proven - this is physics, not pure math.

But IIRC, Schrödinger made some assumptions but basically 'guessed it'. It was first later that it was derived more rigorously from more basic postulates. This is covered in some more advanced QM textbooks (e.g. first chapter of Landau-Lifschitz)

I'm embarrassed I can't remember it all, but you assume a system is described by a wave function, which is continuous, square-integrable and normalized. That the observable properties of the system correspond to eigenvalues of Hermitian operators on that wave function, etc.
(What've I forgotten?)

Gaelilean symmetries: spatial and temporal translational invariance, stuff like that. See e.g. the book by Ballentine.

The whole process, including the historical context, is described in Valentini and Bacciagaluppi's recent book, available online here:

http://uk.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609184"

or on Amazon if you want to buy it.

See section 2.3 p.57 onwards. The relevant bit starts "On 3rd November 1925, Schroedinger wrote to Einstein: 'A few days ago I read with the greatest interest the ingenious thesis of Louis de Broglie...'"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Schrodinger Equation Explained - Get the Answer Now

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time.

2. Who is Schrodinger and why is this equation named after him?

Erwin Schrodinger was an Austrian physicist who developed the equation in 1926. It is named after him because he was the first to publish it and demonstrate its application to quantum mechanics.

3. Why is the Schrodinger Equation important?

The Schrodinger Equation is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state or location. This has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and materials.

4. Is the Schrodinger Equation difficult to understand?

The Schrodinger Equation can be challenging to understand, as it involves complex mathematical concepts. However, with some background in quantum mechanics and mathematics, it is possible to gain a basic understanding of its principles.

5. Can the Schrodinger Equation be applied to all physical systems?

The Schrodinger Equation can be applied to any physical system, as long as it is within the realm of quantum mechanics. This includes systems at the atomic and subatomic level, but may not be applicable to larger, classical systems.