Schrodinger Equation, Potential

In summary, the "potential" function in the Schrodinger equation is properly known as the "potential energy function" and has units of energy. However, it is often referred to simply as the "potential" and can be confused with the units of volts. In order to maintain consistency, both the potential and energy in the equation must have the same units.
Jonnyb42
Schrodinger Equation, "Potential"

This is a very simple question, but I am confused.

I have seen Potential and Potential Energy interchanged.. yet still referred to as potential. Is the "potential" function in the schrodinger equation really a potential function or potential energy? (units of energy or volts)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

The V(x) in Schrödinger's equation has units of energy, and should be properly called the "potential energy function." But people and books tend to be sloppy and call it just the "potential".

You can see most clearly that the units are energy by looking at the time-independent S.E.:

$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \psi(x,y,z) + V(x,y,z) \psi(x,y,z) = E \psi(x,y,z)$$

In order to make the units consistent, V and E must have the same units, and E is energy.

wow... thank you.

This is just what I thought, and I still heard it as potential.

Last edited:

Related to Schrodinger Equation, Potential

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It relates the wave function of a system to its energy and potential.

2. Who developed the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1925.

3. What is the role of potential in the Schrodinger Equation?

Potential, often represented by the symbol V, is a term in the Schrodinger Equation that represents the influence of external forces on a quantum system. It can be thought of as the energy that is required to move a particle from one position to another.

4. How is the Schrodinger Equation used in practical applications?

The Schrodinger Equation is used to predict the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules, and is essential in understanding and developing technologies such as transistors, lasers, and superconductors.

5. What are the limitations of the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is based on the assumption that particles behave like waves, which is not always the case, especially for larger objects. It also cannot fully explain certain phenomena such as quantum tunneling and quantum entanglement.