Solve Eq. (9.58) on Schutz Page 246 - A First Course in GR

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schutz
In summary, the conversation discusses problem 26 part a on page 246 of "A First Course in GR" by Schutz. The question asks how the separation constant, k, appears in the differential equation for f_k(r). The conversation also mentions Eq. (9.58) and its solution using separation of variables. The solution for \bar{h}_{\mu \nu} is assumed to have the form \Sigma_{km}A^{km}_{\mu \nu}f_k(r)Y_{km}(\theta, \phi)/\sqrt{r}, where Y_{km} is the spherical harmonic. The conversation ends with the statement that the separation constant often appears in ordinary differential equations when solving partial differential equations
Jimmy Snyder
Here is a question from problem 26 part a on page 246 of "A First Course in GR" by Schutz. I doubt that it can be answered by someone without a copy of the book, but I have thought that before and been wrong. If someone without the book wants to help and needs more information then of course I would promptly provide it.

Eq. (9.58) in the vacuum region outside the source - i.e., where [itex]S_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex] - can be solved by separation of variables.

Eq (9.58) (edited) follows:

[tex]
(\nabla^2 + \Omega^2)(\bar{h}_{\mu \nu}e^{i\Omega t}) = 0
[/tex]

Assume a solution for [itex]\bar{h}_{\mu \nu}[/itex] has the form

[tex]
\Sigma_{km}A^{km}_{\mu \nu}f_k(r)Y_{km}(\theta, \phi)/\sqrt{r}
[/tex]

where [itex]Y_{km}[/itex] is the spherical harmonic. (The book uses l as does everyone else on the planet, but I changed l to k so that this post would read more easily).

(a) Show that [itex]f_k(r)[/itex] satisfies the equation:

[tex]
\ddot{f}_k + \frac{1}{r}\dot{f}_k + [\Omega^2 - \frac{(k+\frac{1}{2})^2}{r^2}]f_k = 0
[/tex]

where dot means differentiation with respect to r. Without even trying to solve this problem, my question is simply this: how can k show up in the differential equation? Neither A nor Y are functions of r, and k is just a subscript on f.

Physics news on Phys.org
k is (related to) the separation constant. When solving partial differential equations by the technique of separation of variables, the separation constant often appears, after rearrangement, in the resulting ordinary differential equations.

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
k is (related to) the separation constant.
Thanks George, I got out a book on DiffEQs and looked up separation constant. It looks like I'll be spending some time on this.

1. What is the equation (9.58) on Schutz Page 246 in A First Course in GR?

Equation (9.58) on Schutz Page 246 in A First Course in GR is the equation for the Christoffel symbols, which are used in the study of curved spacetime in the field of General Relativity.

2. How do you solve Eq. (9.58) on Schutz Page 246?

In order to solve Eq. (9.58) on Schutz Page 246, you must first have a good understanding of the concept of Christoffel symbols and their relationship to curved spacetime. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as substitution and manipulation to solve the equation.

3. What is the significance of solving Eq. (9.58) on Schutz Page 246?

Solving Eq. (9.58) on Schutz Page 246 allows us to determine the behavior of particles and light in curved spacetime, which ultimately helps us understand the effects of gravity on a large scale.

4. Can Eq. (9.58) on Schutz Page 246 be solved using a computer program?

Yes, Eq. (9.58) on Schutz Page 246 can be solved using a computer program that is capable of performing mathematical operations and equations. However, a good understanding of the underlying concepts is still necessary in order to properly use the program and interpret the results.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Eq. (9.58) on Schutz Page 246?

Yes, the concepts and equations involved in solving Eq. (9.58) on Schutz Page 246 have many real-world applications, including in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and the behavior of objects in our universe. They are also used in the development of advanced technologies such as GPS systems, which rely on the effects of gravity on spacetime to function accurately.