How to Calculate the Motion of a Dropped Fish in a Projectile Problem

• Thread starter IronManTable
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary, the sea bird catches a fish and flies with it at a speed of 7.39 m/s in an easterly direction. When the bird drops the fish, it falls at a speed of 9.59 m/s and hits the water with a speed of 12.1 m/s. The fish experiences a force of 87.8 N as it comes to rest in 0.111 s. To calculate the horizontal distance the fish travels, the horizontal and vertical components of its motion should be considered.
IronManTable

Homework Statement

A sea bird catches a fish and then flies in an easterly direction with a speed v=7.39 m/s, h = 4.69 m above the surface of the sea. The fish has a mass of 115.3 g and is still alive. It thrashes and wiggles and as a result the bird drops the fish.

i) What is the speed of the fish when the bird drops it?

ii) What is the speed of the fish when it hits the water?

iii) When the fish hits the water it is momentarily stunned. It comes to a rest in 0.111 s. What is the magnitude of the force experienced by the fish as it comes to rest?

iv) How far horizontally from where it was dropped does the fish hit the water?

Homework Equations

v2 = u2 +2gh
v22 = v12 + 2ad
s = ut + 0.5 x t2
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i) What is the speed of the fish when the bird drops it?

Since v1 = 0
v22 = v12 + 2ad
v2 = √(2ad)
v2 = √(2 x 9.8 x 4.69)
v2 = 9.59 m/s

ii) What is the speed of the fish when it hits the water?
Using Pythagoras' Theorem,
a2 + b2 = c2
∴ c = √(7.392 + 9.592)
c = 12.1 m/s

iii) When the fish hits the water it is momentarily stunned. It comes to a rest in 0.111 s. What is the magnitude of the force experienced by the fish as it comes to rest?
s = ut + 0.5 x t2
4.69 = 0 + 0.5 x a x 0.1112
a = 4.69 / (0.5 x 0.1112)
a = 761.3 m/s2
F = ma
F = 0.1153 x 761.3
F = 87.8 N

iv) How far horizontally from where it was dropped does the fish hit the water?

I can't seem to figure out a way to get this answer. Can someone please check if my answers are right and can give me an insight on how to answer this last question? Thank you!​

Physics news on Phys.org
[noparse]

(i) the speed of the fish at the moment the bird opens its talons;
(ii) you have applied the correct method, though answer can't be right.
(iii) wrong. Its movement in water is what takes 0.111s.[/noparse]

Last edited:
So how can I do the ones I got incorrect?

IronManTable said:
So how can I do the ones I got incorrect?

Try (i) again.

Okay well I tried it in a new foruma: v2 = v02 + 2ay(y - y0)

v2 = v02 + 2ay(y - y0)
v2 = 0 + 2(-9.8)(0 - 4.69)
v2 = 91.924
v = 9.59 m/s

I come up with the same answer?

The fish in the beak of the bird travels horizontally with the speed of the bird, and keeps that horizontal velocity component during its downward fall. The velocity has both horizontal and vertical components...ehild

IronManTable said:
Okay well I tried it in a new foruma: v2 = v02 + 2ay(y - y0)

v2 = v02 + 2ay(y - y0)
v2 = 0 + 2(-9.8)(0 - 4.69)
v2 = 91.924
v = 9.59 m/s

I come up with the same answer?
You have just calculated the fish's vertical speed after it has fallen to the water. But that is not what part (i) is asking.

This part of the question asks what is the speed of the fish before it starts to fall.

Oh! I get it now. It would be the same speed as the bird, correct? So, 7.39 m/s ?

IronManTable said:
Oh! I get it now. It would be the same speed as the bird, correct? So, 7.39 m/s ?
Right.

Now you have the right data values to do (ii).

Great! I've done (ii) and (iii) and managed to get the correct values. However, i can't seem to get the final one.

The motion of the fish is the resultant of a horizontal motion and a vertical one - it moves like a projectile.

ehild

Hint: With projectile problems there is usually one parameter that is the same for both the horizontal and vertical motion and that is time. The horizontal and vertical velocities may well be different but the object usually starts and stops it's motion in both planes at the same time.

1. What is the difference between sea birds and fish?

Sea birds are warm-blooded animals that have feathers, wings, and beaks. They are able to fly and breathe air. Fish, on the other hand, are cold-blooded animals that have scales, fins, and gills. They are adapted to live in water and breathe through their gills.

2. How do sea birds and fish communicate?

Sea birds communicate through various vocalizations, such as calls and songs, as well as body language. Some species also use visual displays, such as dancing or showing off their colorful feathers. Fish, on the other hand, communicate through visual displays, body language, and chemical signals.

3. What is the role of sea birds and fish in their respective ecosystems?

Sea birds play a vital role in their ecosystems as they help regulate populations of their prey species, such as fish and crustaceans. They also act as indicators of the health of the ocean. Fish, on the other hand, play a crucial role in maintaining the balance of their aquatic ecosystems by controlling the populations of other species and providing food for predators.

4. How do sea birds and fish adapt to their environments?

Sea birds have adapted to their marine environments by developing waterproof feathers, webbed feet for swimming, and special glands to remove excess salt from their bodies. Fish have adapted to their aquatic environments by developing streamlined bodies for efficient swimming, gills to extract oxygen from water, and swim bladders for buoyancy control.

5. What are the threats to sea birds and fish populations?

Sea birds face threats such as pollution, overfishing, habitat destruction, and climate change. These can affect their food sources and nesting sites, leading to population declines. Fish populations are threatened by overfishing, habitat destruction, pollution, and climate change. These factors can disrupt their breeding and feeding behaviors, as well as decrease their available habitats.