Finding a Lost Key with a Searchlight: Calculate the Angle

• Thread starter itryphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Lost
In summary, the problem involves using Snell's law to find the angle at which a searchlight must be pointed in order to locate a lost key at the bottom of a tank filled with a fluid with an index of refraction of 1.68. The light enters the water 1 m from the edge of the tank and the key is located 8.176 m below the surface and 6.84 m from the edge of the tank. By drawing a picture and using Snell's law, the angles θ1 and θ2 can be determined and added together to find the necessary angle for the searchlight.
itryphysics

Homework Statement

A search light is being used at the edge of a tank to find a lost key at the bottom of the tank. The tank is filled to the top with a fluid for which the index of refraction is 1.68. The key is 8.176 m below the surface and 6.84 m from the edge of the tank. At what angle to the normal will the searchlight have to point in order to locate the key if the light enters the water 1 m from the edge of the tank?

Homework Equations

snell's law
n1 sin theta1 = n1 sin theta2

The Attempt at a Solution

inverse sin of 6.84/8.176

inverse sign of 7.84/8.176

and then i added those two together..

Im totally lost and don't understand what to do . Any help will be much appreciated =]

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture first off.

The θ2 is given by tan-1 of (6.84 - 1)/8.176

The rest should be easy peasy.

so everything i did was ok except for I use inverse of tan and not sin to find the angles?

itryphysics said:
so everything i did was ok except for I use inverse of tan and not sin to find the angles?

Not exactly. You failed to account for the light entering the water at 1m.

In the drawing then your net x displacement over the y depth describes θ with respect to the vertical.

To determine the θ1 of course you use sin-1

im lost. sorry . so what is wrong with the way i was calculating theta 1?

itryphysics said:
im lost. sorry . so what is wrong with the way i was calculating theta 1?

You use Snell's law. So knowing θ2 from the tan-1 and ...

n1*sinθ1 = n2*sinθ 2

1*sinθ1 = 1.68*sinθ2

To determine θ1 you take the sin-1.

Isn't that what you were doing before?

FAQ: Finding a Lost Key with a Searchlight: Calculate the Angle

1. How does using a searchlight help in finding a lost key?

A searchlight is a powerful source of light that can cover a large area. By using a searchlight, you can illuminate a wider area and increase the chances of finding a lost key.

2. Is there a specific angle at which the searchlight should be pointed to effectively find a lost key?

Yes, there is a specific angle that can be calculated based on the position of the lost key and the distance from the searchlight. This angle will provide the best chance of finding the key.

3. How do you calculate the angle for finding a lost key with a searchlight?

The angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically the tangent function. You will need to know the distance from the searchlight to the lost key, as well as the height of the searchlight and the height of the lost key.

4. Can using a searchlight be helpful in finding a lost key in all situations?

While using a searchlight can greatly increase the chances of finding a lost key, it may not be effective in all situations. Factors such as weather conditions, terrain, and the size of the search area can affect the usefulness of a searchlight.

5. Are there any other methods besides using a searchlight to find a lost key?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to find a lost key, such as retracing your steps, using a metal detector, or enlisting the help of others. However, using a searchlight can be a quick and efficient method, especially in low light or dark situations.