Searching for a reducing agent

• Thread starter kateman
  • Start date
In summary, the oxygen getter material is chromium trioxide dissolved in water and slurried with silica which is then dried, loaded into a thick-walled glass column equipped with inlet and outlet gas-tight fixtures. The loaded column is wrapped with resistive nichrome tape and then insulated with glass wool. The orange/brown silica is slowly heated to a few hundred degrees C while dry nitrogen is passed through the column. When the silica has given up its adsorbed water, the column is cooled somewhat and carbon monoxide is flowed through for about a half hour. Following this, the heating is discontinued while dry nitrogen is slowly passed through until the column is RT. The silica is now a blue color that
kateman
Hello, I am looking for a reducing agent that will, at least partially, take oxygen out of a small system and will allow that oxygen to evolve if it was exposed to an electric current or given sufficient heat etc.
Basically I want something to bind oxygen and allow me to get rid of it at some later point and be able to repeat the process once again [ideally not by a chemical reaction, but I am open to all suggestions].

Any and all ideas are welcomed, thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mean like a closed loop electrolysis of water? where the oxygen is removed from the water and then allowed to recombine with the water?

You are looking for an oxygen getter material. There are several that I am familiar with but the one that I have used most is chromium trioxide on refrigeration grade adsorption silica. Chromium trioxide is dissolved in water and slurried with the silica which is then dried, loaded into a thick-walled glass column equipped with inlet and outlet gas-tight fixtures. The loaded column is wrapped with resistive nichrome tape and then insulated with glass wool. The orange/brown silica is slowly heated to a few hundred degrees C while dry nitrogen is passed through the column. When the silica has given up its adsorbed water, the column is cooled somewhat and carbon monoxide is flowed through for about a half hour. Following this, the heating is discontinued while dry nitrogen is slowly passed through until the column is RT. The silica is now a blue color that turns purple as is absorbs moisture and finally brown as it scavenges oxygen from the carrier gas. I used this system for years in my air/water-free reactions.

Repeat the process when the column is depleted. I forget the details such as the particular temperatures I used.

Thank you PaulS1950 and chemisttree for your suggestions, particularly chemisttree for your detailed responce.

Iam not after anything in particular, rather Iam just trying to find out what possible options there are out there for me to play with.

Thanks again!

I understand the importance of finding the right reducing agent for your specific needs. There are several options that could potentially meet your requirements, and I would be happy to offer some suggestions.

One possibility could be using a metal, such as iron or magnesium, as a reducing agent. These metals have the ability to react with oxygen and form oxides, which can then be removed from the system. This process can be repeated by simply replacing the metal once it has become oxidized.

Another option could be using a chemical compound, such as sodium bisulfite or sodium hydrosulfite, as a reducing agent. These compounds have the ability to react with oxygen and form sulfites, which can then be removed from the system. Similar to using metals, this process can be repeated by simply adding more of the reducing agent as needed.

If you are open to alternative suggestions, you may also want to consider using biological reducing agents, such as enzymes or bacteria. These agents have the ability to break down oxygen molecules and convert them into other forms that can be easily removed from the system. This approach may be more sustainable and environmentally friendly.

I would also suggest conducting thorough research and experimentation to determine which reducing agent is most suitable for your specific needs and conditions. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field for their insights and recommendations.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your search for a reducing agent. Best of luck in your research!

1. What is a reducing agent?

A reducing agent is a substance that donates electrons to another substance in a chemical reaction. It is typically an element or compound that is oxidized in the process, leaving behind a reduced product.

2. Why is it important to search for a reducing agent?

Searching for a reducing agent is important because it is essential in many chemical reactions, such as in the production of metals or in the detoxification of pollutants. It helps to drive the reaction forward and produce desired products.

3. How do you identify a substance as a reducing agent?

There are a few ways to identify a substance as a reducing agent. One way is to look at its oxidation state, as reducing agents tend to have a lower oxidation state. Another way is to observe if it donates electrons in a reaction, as this is a key characteristic of reducing agents.

4. Can any substance be a reducing agent?

No, not every substance can be a reducing agent. Substances that are already in their highest oxidation state or do not have the ability to donate electrons cannot act as reducing agents in a chemical reaction.

5. How does a reducing agent differ from an oxidizing agent?

A reducing agent and an oxidizing agent are two sides of the same coin in a chemical reaction. While a reducing agent donates electrons, an oxidizing agent accepts electrons. This results in a transfer of electrons from the reducing agent to the oxidizing agent, leading to the conversion of one substance to another.