Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Searching for a reducing agent

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    Hello, I am looking for a reducing agent that will, at least partially, take oxygen out of a small system and will allow that oxygen to evolve if it was exposed to an electric current or given sufficient heat etc.
    Basically I want something to bind oxygen and allow me to get rid of it at some later point and be able to repeat the process once again [ideally not by a chemical reaction, but I am open to all suggestions].

Any and all ideas are welcomed, thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2
    You mean like a closed loop electrolysis of water? where the oxygen is removed from the water and then allowed to recombine with the water?
  4. Jun 2, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are looking for an oxygen getter material. There are several that I am familiar with but the one that I have used most is chromium trioxide on refrigeration grade adsorption silica. Chromium trioxide is dissolved in water and slurried with the silica which is then dried, loaded into a thick-walled glass column equipped with inlet and outlet gas-tight fixtures. The loaded column is wrapped with resistive nichrome tape and then insulated with glass wool. The orange/brown silica is slowly heated to a few hundred degrees C while dry nitrogen is passed through the column. When the silica has given up its adsorbed water, the column is cooled somewhat and carbon monoxide is flowed through for about a half hour. Following this, the heating is discontinued while dry nitrogen is slowly passed through until the column is RT. The silica is now a blue color that turns purple as is absorbs moisture and finally brown as it scavenges oxygen from the carrier gas. I used this system for years in my air/water-free reactions.

Repeat the process when the column is depleted. I forget the details such as the particular temperatures I used.
  5. Jun 3, 2010 #4
    Thank you PaulS1950 and chemisttree for your suggestions, particularly chemisttree for your detailed responce.

Iam not after anything in particular, rather Iam just trying to find out what possible options there are out there for me to play with.

Thanks again!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook