1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seat Belt constraints in a crashing car

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A person who is properly constrained by an over-the-shoulder seat belt has a good chance of surviving a car collision if the deceleration does not exceed about 30 "g's" (1.0 g = 9.80 m/seconds squared).

Assuming uniform deceleration of this value, calculate the distance over which the front end of the car must be designed to collapse if a crash brings the car to rest from 80 km/h.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2
    How long does it take to go from a speed of 80 km/h to 0 km/h, if the speed decreases by 30x9.80 m/s every second?
    What distance would one travel if moving from stand still at acceleration 30x9.80 m/s in this time?

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    For the first I got 22 m/s (instead of 80km/h) then divided that by 30*9.80m/s and got 0.075, which is the time it would take to go from 22 m/s to 0 m/s in the crash.

Then I found in that time frame a person could travel 1.65, or 1.7 meters. I hope these calculations are right; I entered 1.7 into the answer and it was wrong.

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

lewando

Gold Member

"30*9.80 m/s" (velocity) is not the same as "30*9.80 m/s per second" (acceleration)

There exists a specific kinematic equation that you should be using to get a better answer.

6. Sep 15, 2010 #5
    It appears you assumed that the car was going 22m/s the whole time during that 0.076 seconds, but the car is decelerating during that time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook