What Are the Sign Rules for Second Degree Functions?

In summary, the expressions i) a+b+c, ii) a-b+c, iii) 4a+2b+c, and iv) c-e are inconclusive on whether they are larger than, smaller than, or equal to zero. The given information only tells us that a is negative, b and c are positive, and e is negative. The graph provided may give additional information, but it is not necessary to answer the question.
help
TL;DR Summary
judge whether the following expressions are larger than, smaller than or equal to zero
judge whether the following expressions are larger than, smaller than or equal to zero
i) a+b+c
ii)a-b+c
iii)4a+2b+c
iv)c-e

I know that <0, b> 0, c> 0, d> 0 and e <0 but I don't know what to do
1.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
help said:
Summary:: judge whether the following expressions are larger than, smaller than or equal to zero

I know that <0, b> 0, c> 0, d> 0 and e <0 but I don't know what to do
inconclusive on most of those.

help said:
Summary:: judge whether the following expressions are larger than, smaller than or equal to zero

i) a+b+c
ii)a-b+c
iii)4a+2b+c
iv)c-e

I know that <0, b> 0, c> 0, d> 0 and e <0 but I don't know what to doView attachment 263235
Note that e.g. ##a+b+c=y(1)## or ##c=y(0)##. Then the equation ##y(x)=0## has two solutions. Which are the solutions in general, and what does it mean that there are two real solutions?

Likes help
thanks a lot!

symbolipoint said:
inconclusive on most of those.
Which one is inconclusive? All of them can be taken from the graph.

I was only going by this:
help said:

whether the following expressions are larger than, smaller than or equal to zero
i) a+b+c
ii)a-b+c
iii)4a+2b+c
iv)c-e

I know that a<0, b> 0, c> 0, d> 0 and e <0
The "know" part only tells if a number is POSITIVE or NEGATIVE.

Looking at (i),
a+b+c
neg + pos + pos
we do not know how the neg compares to the two pos values.

I see no reason why the graph was shown. It appears to be separate from the given description of O.P. I did not make use of it, so this is my possible misunderstanding.

The graph is where OP got the sign information from, but you can get more information from the graph - enough to answer the questions.

What are the sign rules for second degree functions?

The sign rules for second degree functions depend on the coefficients of the function. If the coefficient of the x^2 term is positive, the function will have a "U" shape and will be positive for large values of x. If the coefficient is negative, the function will have an "n" shape and will be negative for large values of x.

How do I determine the sign of a second degree function?

The sign of a second degree function can be determined by looking at the coefficient of the x^2 term. If the coefficient is positive, the function will be positive for large values of x and if the coefficient is negative, the function will be negative for large values of x.

Can a second degree function have both positive and negative values?

Yes, a second degree function can have both positive and negative values. Depending on the coefficients of the function, it can have regions where it is positive and regions where it is negative.

What is the difference between a second degree function with a positive and negative coefficient?

The main difference between a second degree function with a positive and negative coefficient is the shape of the graph. A positive coefficient will result in a "U" shaped graph, while a negative coefficient will result in an "n" shaped graph.

How do I graph a second degree function?

To graph a second degree function, you can use the sign rules to determine the general shape of the graph. Then, you can plot a few points and connect them to create a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator to quickly graph the function.