Second Law of Thermodynamic

In summary, a balloon with 2.00 x10^3 m3 of helium gas rises rapidly from ground level to an altitude where atmospheric pressure is 0.900 atm. The gas behaves like an ideal gas with γ = 1.67 and the ascent is too fast for heat exchange. To find the volume and temperature at the higher altitude, the adiabatic process equation can be used. To calculate the change in internal energy, the work done by the gas must be determined, but it can also be determined by using a property of ideal gases.
stark_1809

Homework Statement

A balloon containing 2.00 x10^3 m3 of helium gas at 1.00 atm and a temperature of 15.0°C rises rapidly from ground level to an altitude at which the atmospheric pressure is only 0.900 atm. Assume the helium behaves like an ideal gas and the balloon's ascent is too rapid to permit much heat exchange with the surrounding air. For helium, γ = 1.67.

Homework Equations

(a) Calculate the volume of the gas at the higher altitude.
(b) Calculate the temperature of the gas at the higher altitude. (c) What is the change in internal energy of the helium as the balloon rises to the higher altitude?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
stark_1809 said:

Homework Statement

A balloon containing 2.00 x10^3 m3 of helium gas at 1.00 atm and a temperature of 15.0°C rises rapidly from ground level to an altitude at which the atmospheric pressure is only 0.900 atm. Assume the helium behaves like an ideal gas and the balloon's ascent is too rapid to permit much heat exchange with the surrounding air. For helium, γ = 1.67.

Homework Equations

(a) Calculate the volume of the gas at the higher altitude.
(b) Calculate the temperature of the gas at the higher altitude. (c) What is the change in internal energy of the helium as the balloon rises to the higher altitude?

The Attempt at a Solution

You have to make an attempt first. What equation applies here?

AM

Oh, I'm sorry. My mistake.
For (a) and (b), I use the equation for the adiabatic process.
But for (c): I don't know what equation to apply here.

Well, I think it is an adiabatic process. Hence the internal energy will be:
E(int)= -W
but I don't know how to calculate this work here. The equation of Work is W= integral(pdV), right? But p changes?

stark_1809 said:
Well, I think it is an adiabatic process. Hence the internal energy will be:
E(int)= -W
but I don't know how to calculate this work here. The equation of Work is W= integral(pdV), right? But p changes?
You can determine the work done by the gas, but that is doing it the hard way. What does property determines the internal energy of an ideal gas?

AM

What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In other words, the disorder or randomness of a system will naturally tend to increase.

How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics relate to energy?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics applies to energy in that it states that energy will always flow from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration. This flow of energy will also result in an increase in entropy.

What is the difference between the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. The Second Law focuses on the quality of energy and its tendency to disperse or become less useful over time.

Can the Second Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and has been proven to hold true in all observed systems. It is considered a universal law and cannot be violated.

How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

The Second Law is evident in many aspects of everyday life, from the cooling of hot coffee to the breakdown of complex molecules in our bodies. It also plays a role in the efficiency of engines and the production of energy. Essentially, it governs the natural tendency towards disorder and the constant dissipation of energy.