Second Moment of Area Problem for Floor Plate with Cross Beams

In summary, the problem at hand is to determine how to calculate the amount of bending a solid metal plate used as a manhole cover will experience under a certain load. The plate is 5mm thick and 900mm square, supported by cross beams on all four sides. The load is placed at the center of the plate, with 20 beams that are 25mm high and 5mm thick. The second moment of inertia equations are used, but it is uncertain whether all 20 beams should be included in the calculation or just the ones under the load. Different approaches, such as trapezoidal load distribution and calculating flexural stiffness, are suggested to solve the problem. Ultimately, the goal is to determine if the plate
Freezer12

Homework Statement

So I need to know how to attack a problem for a solid metal plate.

The plate is used as a manhole cover, so it needs to withstand a certain load. The load is calculated by placing a large weight at the centre of area 25x25. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do a simple supported beam calculation on the plate so that I can calculate the amount the plate will bend under the load, and whether this is acceptable.

Basically the problem is a simple beam supported at either end with a weight in the middle.. I think. I have attached a picture of the plate.

Plate is 5mm thick, 900mm square - supported by cross beams - 20 beams 25mm high, 5mm thick, with a load in the centre of the plate 25mm square.

The load is acting down on the plate, the cross beams are supported at both ends, and the plate itself is supported on all four sides.

The second moment of inertia equations are what I'm using for this, however I'm not sure if I should be including all 20 beams in the equation, or whether I should only be using the ones under the weight itself. This is because the beams under the weight will be the ones supporting the load, whereas the other beams will not be supporting it so much. I am combining this with the second moment of the area of the plate as well.

Does anyone have any insight as to how to tackle this problem? The purpose of this is to give a very vague idea of whether the beam and plate variables I use will be able to withstand a standard load in the middle without displacing too much. I plugged the exact dimensions into ANSYS to model, however it came out as being able to withstand massive amounts of force, so I'm resorting to plugging the dimensions into a spreadsheet.

Attachments

• plate.png
    plate.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no single 'right' answer to this. It does depend on the assumptions you make. Clearly, just taking the ribs under the point load is safe, but there can be no doubt that adjacent ribs participate to some extent. A simple model would be trapezoidal load distribution tapering from zero at edges tapering to a max at the centre. Another approach could be to calculate the flexural stiffnesses in the x and y directions. Consider a beam strip in each direction at the centre and equate the formulas for deflection in each direction. you have to partition the load qx in x direction and qy in y direction. Equating the deflection gives ratio qx/qy and combining this with q=qx + qy solves the problem of moment partition.

1. What is the second moment of area problem for a floor plate with cross beams?

The second moment of area problem for a floor plate with cross beams is a mathematical concept used in structural engineering to calculate the stiffness and resistance to bending of a floor plate with cross beams. It is also known as the moment of inertia or the moment of resistance.

2. How is the second moment of area problem solved?

The second moment of area problem is solved by using the mathematical formula I = ∫y^2dA, where I represents the moment of inertia, y represents the distance from the neutral axis, and dA represents the area element. This formula is applied to each individual cross beam and then summed to get the total moment of inertia for the floor plate with cross beams.

3. What factors affect the second moment of area for a floor plate with cross beams?

The second moment of area for a floor plate with cross beams is affected by the size and shape of the cross beams, the distance between the beams, and the material properties of the floor plate and beams. Other factors such as loading and boundary conditions can also impact the second moment of area.

4. Why is the second moment of area important for a floor plate with cross beams?

The second moment of area is important for a floor plate with cross beams because it determines the structural strength and stiffness of the floor system. It is used to calculate the deflection and stress of the floor plate under loading, as well as the overall stability of the structure.

5. How does the second moment of area affect the design of a floor plate with cross beams?

The second moment of area plays a crucial role in the design of a floor plate with cross beams. It helps engineers determine the appropriate size and spacing of the beams, as well as the required material properties for the floor plate and beams to meet safety and structural requirements. The higher the second moment of area, the stiffer and stronger the floor system will be.