Second order differential equation - Drawing circuit

In summary, for the given differential equation, the solution is y(x)=C_1*e^(ix)+C_2*e^(-ix)+x*sin x. When drawing the circuit for this equation, it is important to consider the meaning of the coefficients in relation to an LRC circuit. Additionally, the solutions eix and e-ix can be rewritten in terms of cos(x) and sin(x).
jusb3
Homework Statement

"Solve differential equation y''+y=2*cos x. Draw circuit of the equation and think about the strange behavior of the current."

The attempt at a solution

I was able to solve the equation, but I have no idea how to draw circuit about it, we haven't gone
through this at lessons.

Solution:

y(x)=C_1*e^(ix)+C_2*e^(-ix)+x*sin x

Physics news on Phys.org
jusb3 said:
Homework Statement

"Solve differential equation y''+y=2*cos x. Draw circuit of the equation and think about the strange behavior of the current."

The attempt at a solution

I was able to solve the equation, but I have no idea how to draw circuit about it, we haven't gone
through this at lessons.

Solution:

y(x)=C_1*e^(ix)+C_2*e^(-ix)+x*sin x

For the drawing part, think about what the coefficients of the DE mean in regard to the capacitor, coil, and resister of an LRC circuit. Since there's no y' term, one of these components is missing in your circuit.

For your solution, you have eix and e-ix as the basic functions that are the solutions to the homogeneous problem. You could also have used cos(x) and sin(x). Since eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), and e-ix = cos(x) - i*sin(x), it's not too hard to find that cos(x) = (eix + e-ix)/2 and something similar for sin(x).

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function. It is commonly used to model physical systems with complex dynamics, such as circuits.

2. How are second order differential equations used in drawing circuits?

Second order differential equations are used to model the behavior of electric circuits, which can have complex dynamics involving voltage, current, and resistance. By solving these equations, scientists and engineers can predict the behavior of circuits and design them for specific purposes.

3. What is the difference between a first order and second order differential equation?

The main difference between a first order and second order differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. A first order differential equation involves the first derivative, while a second order differential equation involves the second derivative. This makes second order equations more complex and more useful for modeling more complex systems.

4. How do you solve a second order differential equation for a circuit?

To solve a second order differential equation for a circuit, you first need to determine the specific equation that represents the circuit's behavior. This can be done by analyzing the circuit and using Kirchhoff's laws. Once the equation is determined, it can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as Laplace transforms or numerical methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order differential equations in circuit drawing?

Second order differential equations are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing electronic devices, designing control systems for industrial processes, and modeling the behavior of power grids. They are also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to understand the behavior of complex systems.