Second Order differential equation involving chain rule

In summary, the given problem is to solve for (d^2x)/(dt^2) = 2x(9 + x^2) with initial conditions dx/dt = 9 when x = 0 and x = 3 when t = 0. Using integration and evaluating with limits, the solution is v^2 = 18x^2 + x^4 + 81, where x^4 + 18x^2 + 81 is a perfect square. This means that the solution is dx/dt = v = ±(x^2 + 9).
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

Solve (d^2x)/(dt^2) = 2x(9 + x^2) given that dx/dt = 9 when x = 0 and x = 3 when t = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v = dx/dt ...... dv/dx = d^2x/dt^2

dv/dx = v(dv/dx)

v(dv/dx) = 18x +2x^3

integrating and evaluating using limits and then you get

(v^2/)2 - 81/2 = 9x^2 +.5x^4

multiply by 2 and add 81 to both sides

v^2 = 18x^2 + x^4 + 81

dx/dt = v = + or - (18^2 + x^4 +81)^(1/2)

this where I have a problem generally when we did these questions I would be able to just get the root without needing to use the square root symbol. I'm not sure how to integrate polynomials with a power.Does this require integration by substitution? Because I know its no longer apart of our course.

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Woolyabyss said:

Homework Statement

Solve (d^2x)/(dt^2) = 2x(9 + x^2) given that dx/dt = 9 when x = 0 and x = 3 when t = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v = dx/dt ...... dv/dx = d^2x/dt^2

dv/dx = v(dv/dx)

v(dv/dx) = 18x +2x^3

integrating and evaluating using limits and then you get

(v^2/)2 - 81/2 = 9x^2 +.5x^4

multiply by 2 and add 81 to both sides

v^2 = 18x^2 + x^4 + 81

dx/dt = v = + or - (18^2 + x^4 +81)^(1/2)

this where I have a problem generally when we did these questions I would be able to just get the root without needing to use the square root symbol. I'm not sure how to integrate polynomials with a power. Does this require integration by substitution? Because I know it's no longer a part of our course.

Any help would be appreciated.
##x^4 + 18 x^2 + 81## is a perfect square.

vela said:
##x^4 + 18 x^2 + 81## is a perfect square.

Oh right i didn't see that. So it would be ( x^2 + 9 )^2

and then when you get the square root (x^2 + 9)

Last edited:

1. What is a second order differential equation involving chain rule?

A second order differential equation involving chain rule is an equation that includes the second derivative of the unknown function, as well as the first derivative and the function itself. It also involves the use of the chain rule, which allows for the differentiation of composite functions.

2. How is the chain rule used in solving second order differential equations?

The chain rule is used in solving second order differential equations by breaking down the composite function into smaller, simpler functions and finding the derivatives of each function. These derivatives are then substituted into the equation to solve for the unknown function.

3. What are some examples of second order differential equations involving chain rule?

Examples of second order differential equations involving chain rule include the damped harmonic oscillator equation, the wave equation, and the Euler-Lagrange equation. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

4. What is the importance of solving second order differential equations involving chain rule?

Solving second order differential equations involving chain rule is important in understanding and modeling various physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and biology.

5. How can one approach solving a second order differential equation involving chain rule?

One approach to solving a second order differential equation involving chain rule is to first identify the type of equation (e.g. linear or nonlinear), and then use appropriate methods such as substitution, separation of variables, or power series to solve for the unknown function. It is also important to check for initial or boundary conditions to determine the specific solution to the equation.