Can We See Atoms and Molecules Without High Powered Microscopes?

In summary, the FEI company microscopes are able to see atoms and molecules, but they are not as good as optical microscopes.
viciam
Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind me posting here, I am doing some research into atoms, molecules and microscopes. I have no knowledge of physics, the quantum world or microscopy so if my questions seem silly, please look past that and help me. Thank you

I have two questions. Is there a way to see atoms, molecules and other nanoscale objects other than through high powered microscopes?

And another question is, what are your thoughts on the FEI company microscopes? Have you used them? Would you recommend them?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
viciam said:
I have two questions. Is there a way to see atoms, molecules and other nanoscale objects other than through high powered microscopes?

Define "see". Are you asking for the ability to view these things with our naked eyes, without the use of any other instruments? Or are you asking if there are OTHER instruments that can be used besides "high powered microscopes"?

Zz.

You cannot see them with a light microscope. Images of molecules have been taken using atomic force microscopy.

Check these out: http://phys.org/news/2012-09-world-atomic-microscope-chemical-bonds.html

This is cutting edge stuff, not something you are likely to reproduce in a garage. Atoms are hard to see.

Last edited:
You can, however, see things that are only one atomic layer thick in an optical microscope.
This becomes fairly obvious if you look at graphene, there is actually optical contrast between single and bilayer graphere, even though the difference in thickness is much less than the wavelength of the light (and you can also see the contrast between the single layer graphene and the substrate).
It is a nice -and very useful- optical effect.
(I should point out that the effect is much easier to see if you use a camera where you can adjust the contrast)

Interferometric microscopes can measure height contrasts down to 0.1 nm, however this can only be applied to atomic layers and not single atoms. The lateral resolution of interferometric microscopes is still the usual ~wavelength/2.

That said, enormous progress has been made in the past decade using fluorescence to differentiate between atoms. Look up the work of Stefan Hell and techniques like STED, PALM, STORM etc.

Claude.

1. What are atoms and molecules?

Atoms are the basic building blocks of matter. They are the smallest unit of an element that retains the properties of that element. Molecules are made up of two or more atoms bonded together and are the building blocks of compounds.

2. How can we see atoms and molecules?

Atoms and molecules are too small to be seen with the naked eye. However, we can indirectly see them using advanced instruments such as electron microscopes or atomic force microscopes. These instruments use beams of electrons or a tiny probe to create images of the atoms and molecules.

3. Why is it important to see atoms and molecules?

Seeing atoms and molecules allows us to understand the structure and behavior of matter at the smallest level. This is essential for many scientific fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It also helps us to develop new technologies and improve existing ones.

4. Can we manipulate atoms and molecules?

Yes, we can manipulate atoms and molecules at the nanoscale level. This is known as nanotechnology and it has many potential applications such as in medicine, electronics, and energy production. However, this technology is still in its early stages and requires further research and development.

5. Are there any risks associated with seeing and manipulating atoms and molecules?

There are some risks associated with working with atoms and molecules at the nanoscale level. These include potential environmental and health hazards, as well as ethical concerns. Therefore, proper safety precautions and ethical considerations must be taken when conducting research or using nanotechnology.