1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking the solution of an integro-differential equation

1. Aug 10, 2015 #1
    I'm seeking the solution to the following integro-differential equation:
    $$ \frac{\partial c(x,t)}{\partial t}=-xc(x,t)+2\int_{x}^{\infty} c(y,t)dy$$

I know that to solve this, the Laplace transform must be taken term by term. Let
    $$ \mathcal{L}\{c(x,t)\}=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-st}c(x,s) $$
    Then, $$ \mathcal{L}\{ \frac{\partial c(x,t)}{\partial t} \}=s\mathcal{L}\{c(x,t)\}-c(x,0)$$
    and, $$ \mathcal{L}\{xc(x,t)\}=x\mathcal{L}\{c(x,t)\} $$

The problem arises with the Laplace transform of the integral.
    \begin{align*}
    \mathcal{L}\{ \int_{x}^{\infty}c(y,t)dt \} &= \mathcal{L}\{ \int_{0}^{\infty}c(y,t)dt \}-\mathcal{L}\{ \int_{0}^{x}c(y,t)dt \}
    \\&=\mathcal{L}\{ \int_{0}^{\infty}c(y,t)dt \}-\frac{\mathcal{L}\{ c(x,t) \}}{s}
    \end{align*}
    My question is what do I do with the first integral of the last equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This should be
    $$ \mathcal{L}\{c(x,t)\}=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-st}c(x,t) dt.$$

You've made a mistake in swapping the original integration over the position domain with one over the time domain. If we let ##\mathcal{L}\{c(x,t)\} = C(x,s)##, then
    $$\mathcal{L}\{ \int_{x}^{\infty}c(y,t)dy \} = \int_{x}^{\infty}C(y,s)dy.$$
    You'll still end up with an integral equation, but without the time derivative. You should be able to differentiate the equation with respect to ##x## to get a first-order differential equation for ##C(x,s)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted